Neon tetras question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sallyjano

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I just upgraded my 10g to a 60g. Moved the fish over today. I know you don't normally add more fish for a few weeks until it's stabilized (I have the old media and filter on the tank) but I have just 3 neon tetras. I know they need at least 3 to 5 more. Would you wait until the tank has cycled/stabilized in a few weeks? Or get them now in case the neon tetras don't make it that long due to not being in a school??

I am guessing I should wait......but curios to see what others think.

Thanks!!

With the old media and established filter used and it being a 60g tank. IMHO wait 5 days, test the water and if in spec. then get more. Nothing more exciting than an empty tank. lol OS.

With the old media and established filter used and it being a 60g tank. IMHO wait 5 days, test the water and if in spec. then get more. Nothing more exciting than an empty tank. lol OS.

Ok thanks! Sounds good. It's not totally empty - also another tetra and 3 mollies but I am keen to get my neon tetra school going.

I have a school of 18 neons. When they go on parade they look awesome. OS.
Haha OS is sitting there playing the drums as they march on by:) but yah schools do look snazzy, I have a mixed bag 3 Neons and 4 cardinals, they too march, just never seem to get the formation right..

You could add at least 3 now and maybe more. You have used the old filer media so the bacteria are there are growing and with 60 gallons you have more water to dilute the harmful ammonia and nitrates and nitrites. Don't worry about it. Add more fish gradually. Go and put three more in and wait about a week and then add three more.

honestly three neon tetras in a 60 gallon isn't going to do much, do you have any other seeded tanks or can you get some seeded media from the lfs?

Honestly, you won't even notice a cycle of any type with that little bit of seeded material being moved over and only 3 neons for that size of tank. As was stated above, you can get away with slowly stocking your tank so that the bacteria you already have can start taking over.

Late to the party, sorry me and my neons were rocking out to some Kenny logins, I tried Marilyn Manson and they beat up the gbr... Ooooffff

I totally agree with Penn and Dragon, you can go ahead and add right away. 60g is plenty of water to dilute toxins. The established media is a great start.

My fish like ska....I know, they are different.

I moved three fish from a little tank to a 65 with their filter and decor and started adding more after no ammonia showed at all a week later. And, there has been no cycling with gradual stocking. It's a great way to go bigger and lots of fun. Knowing all of that now, I'd go shopping right away! Just control yourself and don't add too much at once.

Back
Top Bottom