neon tetras

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rhino

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a 36 gallon bow front aquarium. I am putting plants in it soon.my question is how many neon tetras can I put in my tank along with three otos?

At a minimum you need 6, but your tank can handle 25+ I have had up to 20 in my 29 Gal. They are small and have a very light bioload. The more the merrier in my opinion as long as you don't go crazy and try and put 100 in there. But there are people on here who have schools of 100+ Neons in their aquariums of diffrent sizes.

Depending on:
- How heavy you are going to plant it
- How long it has been up and running (cycled)

Last edited:
arcticfirefighter said:
At a minimum you need 6, but your tank can handle 25+ I have had up to 20 in my 29 Gal. They are small and have a very light bioload. The more the merrier in my opinion as long as you don't go crazy and try and put 100 in there. But there are people on here who have schools of 100+ Neons in their aquariums of diffrent sizes.

Depending on:
- How heavy you are going to plant it
- How long it has been up and running (cycled)

Its been fully cycled for about a month. It has six neons now. I am just trying to get a jump start on the future. I had already planned on it being a neon tank.

Jason7894561230 said:
If only ottos are in there than 35 or so will fit in there IMO.

35 would be too many I think.

Feeding em would be a task too, my little buggers swarm food so I have to feed in 2 spots to make sure everyone gets some chow.

Scouser said:
35 would be too many I think.

Feeding em would be a task too, my little buggers swarm food so I have to feed in 2 spots to make sure everyone gets some chow.

I dont think it would be too many. They have such a little bio load and they are a schooling fish so they dont need their own space. As for feeding, neons occupy the middle of the aquarium and mine eat from the top middle and bottom so it shouldnt be a problem.

I would go 20 with a centerpeice fish and the 3 ottos. Get a small centerpiece like a dwarf gourmi to keep the neons schooling. When i have bigger fish in my tanks my tetras school all te time

Nu-Nu the eel said:
I would go 20 with a centerpeice fish and the 3 ottos. Get a small centerpiece like a dwarf gourmi to keep the neons schooling. When i have bigger fish in my tanks my tetras school all te time

Yeah I'd go with a lower number of tetra, simply because you may wanna add a bigger fish (show fish lol) as many people do.

I myself will have 7 glow light and 8 neons along with a honey gourami as I wanted a larger fish lol :)

Back
Top Bottom