Nerite Snails?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cap

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey guys my LFS just go some Nerite snails and said they would be good for planted tanks. I have seen some articles online, but most are silent concerning their compatibility with plants. Are these good for planted tanks or will they destroy everything?

Cap said:
Hey guys my LFS just go some Nerite snails and said they would be good for planted tanks. I have seen some articles online, but most are silent concerning their compatibility with plants. Are these good for planted tanks or will they destroy everything?

My nerites don't even bother with the plants. They are more of an algae eater than plant eater anyways. My pond snails on the other hand are all over my plant munching on them. ;)

I have Nerites, MTS, Ramshorns and Pond and have little to no plant damage. I do feed Algae wafers and Zucchini because of my Shrimp, so the snails get fed also. I was killling Pond Snails and realized they weren't hurting anything that I could see.

I LOVE my Nerites, but you may need to add Calcium for their shells or feed high calcium food. I'm feeding Ken's Veggie sticks with Calcium and plan to add a piece of Cuttle Bone for my snails or set up a Nerite recovery tank just for them.

I have Nerites, MTS, Ramshorns and Pond and have little to no plant damage. I do feed Algae wafers and Zucchini because of my Shrimp, so the snails get fed also. I was killling Pond Snails and realized they weren't hurting anything that I could see.

I LOVE my Nerites, but you may need to add Calcium for their shells or feed high calcium food. I'm feeding Ken's Veggie sticks with Calcium and plan to add a piece of Cuttle Bone for my snails or set up a Nerite recovery tank just for them.

I'm not sure if Nerites are one,

But once certain snail's shells are gone, they will not recover.

It might be good to keep them calcium'd up from the start.

Nerites, along with many other snails (but not all) are great for eating dead plants and algae. I'd say one Nerite per 5 gallons is good and you shouldn't exceed it. You will definitely need supplemental feedings.

If you're starving, you'd eat bark off a tree! So, if you starve them, they might eat plants. Just a warning.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom