New 3 Gallon Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dalydose

Aquarium Advice Newbie
My girlfriend got me a new 3 gallon tank for our apartment. We don't have room for anything bigger unfortunately.

I was wondering what you all would recommend that I put into the tank. I know some of you will say that I shouldn't put anything into a 3 gallon tank, but that's all I can do right now so please offer some advise.

I've read that goldfish would be too dirty for such a small tank and I would have to clean the thing at least once a week. Is that true?

Would a Betta thrive in this environment? Since they are always in little bowls, I'd probably be saving him from a prison like experience.

Any other small tank thrivers out there that I should know about? Is it just insane to think about 2-3 fish in that tank?

Thanks in advance...any advise is welcome.

A betta would be suitable. In fact that's what I would recommend. There are a few other options but most other small fish prefer to live in groups whereas Bettas can thrive in those little tanks and usually have a ton of personality.

Goldfish=absolutely no. I'll save the speech and just say that keeping goldfish in small bowls is one of the most widespread cases of animal cruelty known to man. If you want to find out more about that, I'm sure someone will chime in if you ask.

Thanks for the speedy reply poppab02!

I definitely don't want to contribute to "one of the most widespread cases of animal cuelty known to man". That's not a way to start a hobby. :)

If we put a betta in there, would it need to be alone? Would a bottom feeder (catfish type) or shrimp work?

I can't think of any catfish that would be small enough to live in a 3 gallon with a betta. Cory cats are small but if they're not in groups and in a good sized tank they do nothing but miserably sit on the bottom. Ghost shrimp might be fine with the betta. My betta ignores them so it can work.

Frank_The_Tank: I haven't had that problem with my betta. Ghost shrimp get along just fine as long as you feed them. :D

I'd say maybe 2-3 ghost shrimp would be great with your betta.

Hi dalydose,
What kind of 3 gallon tank is it? Is it an Eclipse with a bio-wheel? I have a betta in this tank, but I don't use the bio-wheel filter because the current is too much for the betta. They like calmer waters. A sponge filter with a gang valve would work (see pics in my gallery), or another small filter that would be good is a Whisper 2-10i on the lowest setting.

You could try a few ghost shrimp with the betta. When I put some in my betta tank, they didn't last long. But as the others said, YMMV! Also, as mentioned, a 3 gallon tank is too small for a group of cories, and one by itself wouldn't do well.

Back
Top Bottom