New 30 gal tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

izzy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have an existing 55 gal tank and just got a 30 gal (36x12x16) tank I wish to set up.

The first one is a clasical comunity tank with 5 sunsetfire platies, 4 emerald corys (should be 6 but I can't find 2 more to buy), 8 zebra danios, 8 lemon tetras, 5 (should be 6 but one few months ago) neon tetras and one plecko.

For the second one I am thinking of either a bigger fish (one or two?) or a spicie tank (i.e. bunch of neon tetras).

What setup do you recomend?

I was thinking of UGF with 2 power heads, Penguin bio-wheel filter, 2 heaters and aerator stone for setup.

Suggestions on equipment and fish (and number of them) are welcome.

For the 30 gallon tank, I think few people would reccomend an UGF. The cons really outweight the pros in most setups. All you will end up doing is creating a mess on the bottom of the aquarium and it can be a nigthmare to clean at a later point in time. Once your Bio Wheel is established you will have plenty of biological filtration. Also, with the Bio-Wheel filters, you will not need an air stone since they splash water into the tank. A battery powered air pump is good to have as a backup in a power failure, but the Bio Wheel filters create a lot of action on the surface of the water for oxygen exchange.

I'd get a Penguin 330 for the tank. It's slight overkill, but the filter works like a charm--I've never had any problems with it on my 55. If you prefer to pay a little less, get the Penguin 170. I think it's good for tanks up to 50 gallons (if my memory serves me correctly).

The 330, btw, has two biowheels! It's rad. BUT, don't buy it at your LFS, get it online at www.bigals.com or at www.drsfostersmith.com. You can get the 330 for $23.49 at both stores--an amazing deal considering your LFS or Petco/Petsmart will charge you about $55!

I have Penguin 330 for my 55 gal and I like it. I guess that or 170 was the one I wanted to put in there. The filters are the same so I could take an existing filter out and cycle the new tank quicker.

What about the fish? What do you recommend?

Obviously, follow the 1 inch (of adult fish) per gallon rule. A full tank of tetras is killer, but you might also get bored and want some other fish in it...

Careful of getting fish that are too big... A mating pair of angels would be nice, if you are into angelfish... There are some really beautiful veil tales. OR how about getting a tank of rainbowfish!? Get some Boesemani Rainbows (Melanotaenia boesemani) (they're really beautiful) and perhaps some Praecox (Melanotaenia praecox) or Axelrodi (Melanotaenia herbertaxelrodi) Rainbowfish. If you got Boesemanis, you could get a school of 6-10 of them (for a total of 18-30 inches when mature), for a species tank, or two schools of Boesemanis and Praecox. Then wrap it up with a dwarf pleco or a siamese algae eater to keep the algae down.

Just off the top of my head. If you're into getting a tank with just large fish, you could think about getting a black ghost knife fish. They are amazing, but be aware that they can get to 1.5 feet eventually, and would prefer the 55 gallon after a year or so. Or, think about getting a mated pair of Convict Cichlids! Or Firemouth cichlids! All fun, but don't add any other fish (except a medium-sized pleco) to the Convict tank, because they are aggressive fish!

Hope these ideas help.

*sits on madasa* You forgot to mention the 1"=1g rule is only valid for peaceful small bodied fish like neons! Won't work for big bodied, aggressive territorial guys (think a 10 inch oscar in a 10g tank vs 10 neons in a 10g; one works great, one would be a major prob).

Good call AlliV! Though I didn't mean to suggest that was a possibility if it came off that way...

Yep, consider the greater amount of volume/mass in a 10-inch fish compared to 10 neons. About 10-50 times more volume in a 10-inch piranha than in the 10 little guys! Glad that was cleared up!

Thanks for keeping me on my toes!

I have read a little about Firemouth cichlids. They seem to be an interesting spicies.

If I would go that direction in my 30 gal long tank, what setup do you suggest?

http://idid.essortment.com/firemouthcich_rtjt.htm recommends UGF.

So for 36x12x16 (30 gal) tank with 2 (I guess you don't want to put more then two Firemouth cichlids?) what setup would you recommend?

I have an established 55 gal community tank so I can use one bio-wheel and filter (from Penguin 330) to get it started.

My thought was:

UGF with 2 power heads
Penguin 170
2 Visitherm Deluxe heaters (not sure what W should I get for 30 gal)

What is the good temp for Firemouth cichlids?

I guess no live plants for them.

What size of gravel?

Anything else I am missing?

You will always be able to find people to reccomend just about anything, including undergravel filters. Read up on them, and all the trouble people have with them. They were very popular years ago, now some fish stores do not reccomend them to anyone. Remember that their primary function is to collect waste on the bottom of the tank for biological filtering, with no easy way to remove it. With power filters and canister filters, you can just change or rinse the media to clear all the wate material. With a Bio-Wheel running, you will have a constant source of bio filtration, and the do not think an UGF is needed.

2x 100 watt heaters would work well. Each one would be sufficiently capable or heating the entire tank by itself were the other heater to fail. 3 to 5 watts per gallon is the general rule when buying a heater.

More info on UGFs:

"The theory of undergravel (UG) filtration. It is generally acknowledged that there are three forms of filtration: biological, in which ammonia and nitrite of fish waste is broken down by bacteria, chemical, in which carbon or resins are used to adsorb dissolved waste, and mechanical, in which solid waste is strained from the water by floss or filter cartridges. Of these, a UG filter effectively provides only biological filtration. The small amount of charcoal in a UG cartridge does very little chemical filtration before becoming saturated and whatever mechanical filtration occurs is actually a threat to the stability of the aquarium (more about this later). In theory, the UG filter circulates water through the gravel, where healthy bacteria grow and break down the fish waste. Promoters of UG filters often argue that you cannot culture these bacteria without an UG filter, that ammonia and nitrite levels will rise and fish will die.

Our experience has been just the opposite. As you look around at our 200 aquariums, loaded with 5 to 10 times the usual number of fish per gallon, you will find no UG filters in either freshwater or saltwater. And yet, we never find dangerous ammonia or nitrite levels in any of them. It seems that the bacterial culture grows perfectly well on the gravel, the glasses and any other surface in the aquarium that has water circulating around it. We perform hundreds of water quality tests for our customers each month, and the vast majority of ammonia and nitrite problems in established tanks involve UG filters. Declining pH and live plant problems are also much more common in UG filtered tanks. When the culture is dependent on the UG system, an otherwise minor mistake or mechanical failure can cause a die-off of the bacteria and fish loss. When we used UG filters on our saltwater aquariums a few years ago, we often lost an entire tank full of fish overnight when a power head would quit. The power head would stop due to gravel packing, salt spray penetrating the motor or an anemone blocking the intake, and the bacteria (and fish) would be dead before we noticed it. In more recent cases when a power filter would quit, there were no major fish losses unless aeration was also interrupted.

The risks of UG filters. If all else is perfect - if the fish are not overfed, if circulation is not hindered, if the tank is not medicated, and if the gravel is cleaned frequently with water changes - success can be achieved using UG filters. We stock UG filters and power heads mostly for those experienced hobbyists who have had previous success. Unfortunately, in most cases, something is less than perfect. Usually, after a few months of operation, the gravel begins to pack with so much silt and dirt that circulation stops and the bacteria suffocate. Since the filter still appears to be working, water quality deteriorates, usually unnoticed until it is too late. If the tank is medicated or overfed, an even more rapid die-off of the culture may occur. A speedy water change may avert disaster, but this is the sort of headache and frustration we are trying to spare our customers.

The best filtration. We have had excellent success with box filters for smaller aquariums and power filters or canister filters for larger aquariums. They usually cost less than an UG filter with a pump to provide similar output. In addition to providing circulation for our biological filtration, they also are far superior mechanical and chemical filters. And since solid waste is collected in filter fiber or a filter cartridge and is easily disposed of, it is not allowed to accumulate and rot in the aquarium. Tanks stay clearer and odor-free with less maintainence by the hobbyist. And, as we mentioned above, we have found much less risk of problems of ammonia or nitrite poisoning."

From bestfish.com

Back
Top Bottom