New 36 gallon bowfront build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

uncgirl1

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi! I'm mostly a lurker ( great info here) but have posted a few times. I had a mass fish death due to evil parasite and am starting over. I'm fishless cycling and am pretty much done. I've been adding up to 2 ppm ammonia and everyday it's back to 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites and 40 nitrates. I'll be doing a massive water change before adding fish, hopefully, this weekend!

I have 2 filters (Aquaclear 50 & 70), using fluorite with black sand mixed, current satellite + lighting. I've planted with different types of swords. Here's what I have so far. I'd love any feedback you all can give! I love plants but don't know much so want to keep it simple and easy! I'm excited to hear feedback and advice from ya'll! Thanks! ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1424223871.569961.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1424223901.164862.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Tank is looking good. Good luck with new tank?

Sent from inside my fish tank

Oooh, me likeee! A veritable jungle! Any stock ideas yet? Or did I miss that...?

? Diana Lee ?
? the St. Augustine Redhead ?

Thank you! I'm not 100% on anything as of yet. So far, I'm thinking a pair of blue rams, 6 sterbai cory cats, 8-10 harlequin rasboras, and honey gourami. Maybe another small school of colorful fish. I've been playing around on aqadvisor and researching before I make any final decisions. I want there to be a lot of color! I'm totally open to suggestions. ?

Thank you! I'm not 100% on anything as of yet. So far, I'm thinking a pair of blue rams, 6 sterbai cory cats, 8-10 harlequin rasboras, and honey gourami. Maybe another small school of colorful fish. I've been playing around on aqadvisor and researching before I make any final decisions. I want there to be a lot of color! I'm totally open to suggestions. ?

Heads up, German Blue Rams need a tank that has been set up a while and is stable (around 6 months running) to thrive and be healthy without problems.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

I love my Honey Dwarf Gourami pair. Here's some pics:

Harlequin Rasboras are good fish too. Very hardy!

Go Reds!

Hi! I'm mostly a lurker ( great info here) but have posted a few times. I had a mass fish death due to evil parasite and am starting over. I'm fishless cycling and am pretty much done. I've been adding up to 2 ppm ammonia and everyday it's back to 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites and 40 nitrates. I'll be doing a massive water change before adding fish, hopefully, this weekend!

I have 2 filters (Aquaclear 50 & 70), using fluorite with black sand mixed, current satellite + lighting. I've planted with different types of swords. Here's what I have so far. I'd love any feedback you all can give! I love plants but don't know much so want to keep it simple and easy! I'm excited to hear feedback and advice from ya'll! Thanks! View attachment 264618View attachment 264619

Love your tank! But why double filtration??

Heads up, German Blue Rams need a tank that has been set up a while and is stable (around 6 months running) to thrive and be healthy without problems.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

I've read that! I had them before and they were so pretty. I didn't wait 6 months and they outlived everything. I do plan to wait to add them this time though after researching this go around better than I did before. The only thing I can figure is I must have lucked into the healthiest pair of gbr's around. lol

I have 2 filters (Aquaclear 50 & 70), using fluorite with black sand mixed, current satellite + lighting. I've planted with different types of swords. Here's what I have so far. I'd love any feedback you all can give! I love plants but don't know much so want to keep it simple and easy! I'm excited to hear feedback and advice from ya'll! Thanks! View attachment 264618View attachment 264619

Looks great! I would say take the ornaments out and replace with small but interesting pieces of driftwood :)

Love your tank! But why double filtration??

Thank you! I had the double filtration on my tank previously and when I cleaned everything I just set them both up. They were there due to the bioload present and I had some messy fish. I had one to start out with and added the other later. In addition, I had a pair of gbr's and wanted the water column to be as clean as possible. I've read that you can under filter but not over filter so that's what I did. Do you think it's too much?

Hahaha! Well, for now that might be true! I haven't seen your tank. However, it remains to be seen if I can keep them looking the way they do now!

I'm pissed off at how good your plants look compared to mine.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Thank you! I love driftwood and have 2 pieces in there. I have the bridge and rock cave so my future fish (cory and gbr's) have places to go and hide and to help create defined "zones" in case of territorial issues. Do you think they would be ok without them?

Looks great! I would say take the ornaments out and replace with small but interesting pieces of driftwood :)

Thank you! I love driftwood and have 2 pieces in there. I have the bridge and rock cave so my future fish (cory and gbr's) have places to go and hide and to help create defined "zones" in case of territorial issues. Do you think they would be ok without them?

I doubt any of your fish will really have territorial issues. The only one that could is the GBR pair or the gourami. The GBR is really only if they are breeding.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

I have that same tank with an. Angel, five diamond tetras, 4 loxozonus cory cats, one oto cat, I neon swordtail, and two platy.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I think they would be fine without them. In order to truly curb territorial aggression caused by stocking incompatibility you need a large tank or to over stock a large tank in order to share aggression. Resting caves can be made with the right shape wood and you can also dig into the substrate to create crevices for the smaller bottom dwellers.

I feel that all fish will benefit from keeping the tank as natural as possibly and will encourage natural behavior for example, adding plants that reach in to the top section of the water column has just encouraged my harlequin's to display breeding behavior.

Harlequin's would love your set up.

Back
Top Bottom