New 36 gallon bowfront build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thank you! I had the double filtration on my tank previously and when I cleaned everything I just set them both up. They were there due to the bioload present and I had some messy fish. I had one to start out with and added the other later. In addition, I had a pair of gbr's and wanted the water column to be as clean as possible. I've read that you can under filter but not over filter so that's what I did. Do you think it's too much?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Not at all. I think it's a brilliant idea :)

Ok, so I have been playing around with different stocking for my tank and here is what I have come up with. I am open to any suggestions as I am not 100% on anything. I want a lot of color without a lot of crazy aggression. But here is what aqadvisor had to say. I'm not sure if I believe this would be overstocked as I had more than this last time and always had perfect water quality. Until the plague hit and even then my water parameters were perfect. Let me know what you think!

Attachments

• AquStockImage.png
    AquStockImage.png
    23.5 KB · Views: 96
Ok, so I have been playing around with different stocking for my tank and here is what I have come up with. I am open to any suggestions as I am not 100% on anything. I want a lot of color without a lot of crazy aggression. But here is what aqadvisor had to say. I'm not sure if I believe this would be overstocked as I had more than this last time and always had perfect water quality. Until the plague hit and even then my water parameters were perfect. Let me know what you think!

Looks pretty good to me.

Personally I'd drop 2 cherry barbs and get more Corys. The more their are the happy and more active they get. I have 5 emeralds and 3 pandas in a 45g and they are always swimming all over the tank. :) that's just me though it really does look fine.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

I hadn't thought of that but I do love the cories so it's a great idea! Thanks!

Looks pretty good to me.

Personally I'd drop 2 cherry barbs and get more Corys. The more their are the happy and more active they get. I have 5 emeralds and 3 pandas in a 45g and they are always swimming all over the tank. :) that's just me though it really does look fine.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Don't forget to feed the swords. They are primarily root feeders.
Tank looks great.

?? They are beautiful!

Thank you! These fish are very very shy at first, but they will slowly claim territory and be out in the open all the time once they become adjusted. Fish like these and the Rams will love all the foliage with the swords.

Go Reds!

I added my first fish tonight! The cherry barbs are in and looking beautiful. I hope they stay that way! I drop acclimated for quite some time so hopefully all will go well.

Don't forget to feed the swords. They are primarily root feeders.
Tank looks great.

Hi! I have Seachem root tabs and fluorite. I also use Excel. I know they are root feeders and not so much from the water column. However, I have some yellowing and I've read that's iron related. As in, not enough. Anything I should be doing that I'm not? Thanks!!

I think you've got the bases covered. In time you will find the cost of the root tabs will add up. A cost effective alternative are DIY gelcaps filled with osmocote+. Look up Mebbid root tabs. I'm trying those out right now. Previously have been using AquaFertz Root Pellets from AquariumPlants.com. Good results with it. Not expensive for a commercial product (75 pellets for ~ $10)

Hi! I have Seachem root tabs and fluorite. I also use Excel. I know they are root feeders and not so much from the water column. However, I have some yellowing and I've read that's iron related. As in, not enough. Anything I should be doing that I'm not? Thanks!!

Maybe if you still have some space maybe you can fit some shell dwelling cichlids in there. They are generally peaceful and stay small males from 1-3 inches and females are smaller and they are only aggressive during mating. Also from what i have read they really only need 5-10 gallons and soft substrate and plenty of shells to spawn in. They won't attack fish unless they are in their territory.

I think you've got the bases covered. In time you will find the cost of the root tabs will add up. A cost effective alternative are DIY gelcaps filled with osmocote+. Look up Mebbid root tabs. I'm trying those out right now. Previously have been using AquaFertz Root Pellets from AquariumPlants.com. Good results with it. Not expensive for a commercial product (75 pellets for ~ $10)

I will definitely look those up! Thank you so much ?

Maybe if you still have some space maybe you can fit some shell dwelling cichlids in there. They are generally peaceful and stay small males from 1-3 inches and females are smaller and they are only aggressive during mating. Also from what i have read they really only need 5-10 gallons and soft substrate and plenty of shells to spawn in. They won't attack fish unless they are in their territory.

Never heard of those! I'll check them out. Thanks!

Never heard of those! I'll check them out. Thanks!

I forgot to mention that most cichlids do not get much larger than 3.5 inches if you get dwarf cichlids also make sure you get very sturdy plants that can withstand cichlids because not only do they love to rip up you your plants they love dig into your substrate. The shell dwelling cichlids as the name describes they need plenty of shells of various sizes so when they grow they can go into them and lay their eggs as they would in nature. The reason you need deep substrate for Shell dwelling cichlids is because they will dig trenches under rocks and will literally carry a shell with them and lay their eggs then guard that trench from predators. So if you do decide to get the Shell dwellers make sure you have sturdy plants, rocks that won't crush them when they dig under them, and plenty of shells of various sizes to emulate their natural habitats as closely as you can without releasing them haha

I forgot to mention that most cichlids do not get much larger than 3.5 inches

That's actually fairly incorrect. There are many species of cichlids that not only get bigger than 3.5" but with proper husbandry will get even much larger than twice that size. A little more time and research in the hobby will help you understand this. JD's, RD's, Oscars and the list goes on.

Sent from my iPhone that doesn't like me. Or you !!

That's actually fairly incorrect. There are many species of cichlids that not only get bigger than 3.5" but with proper husbandry will get even much larger than twice that size. A little more time and research in the hobby will help you understand this. JD's, RD's, Oscars and the list goes on.

Sent from my iPhone that doesn't like me. Or you !!

I know my wording was worded weird but I was trying to say dwarf cichlids and shell dwellers tend to stay relatively small 3.5" or less and can be kept in smaller tanks like 30s but yes I'm aware that Oscars, RD'd, JD's, Angels, and Discus and other cichlids get much larger.

Back
Top Bottom