New 55 Gallon Tank Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Laser

Aquarium Advice Addict
I'm currently cycling the tank right now, but I've been debating on what to put in it. I initially wanted to do angelfish, but I have read that they can be aggressive with each other.

What are your thoughts on 4-6 Angelfish in a tank this size? I have no interest in breeding them or removing them to another aquarium should they pair off.

Can I mix Angelfish with Pearl Gouramis? If so, what would be a good ratio? I already know that I want 2 Females to each male gourami, but I'm not really sure how that works for Angelfish.

My girlfriend also wants to get 1 or 2 pictus cats. I couldn't foresee anything wrong with that but I figured I'd throw that in there.

Thanks in advance!

Well you could get 3-5 angels, 4-6 pearls, and 6-8 pectus, and you COULD be fine. BUT, like you said, angels can be tempermental and so can gourami. If you want to be safe you could do 2 angels, and then mix the gourami species. Usually gourami are more agressive towards there own species. I have 1 koi angel, 1 gold gourami, 1 blue gourami, 1 opaline gourami, and 1 moonlight gourami. They all get along great. So 2 angels, 4 different gourami, 6 pictus, and maybe a school of cories or kuhlis.

I you have 'no interest in moving any' if aggression happens I'd recommend one angel and one gourami. Both species can be aggressive to their own kind so to avoid that just get one.

That sounds like a good solution. When you say one gourami does that mean a specific type of gourami, or just gourami in general? Also, what would be an optimal number of pictus cats? I've seen reports that they like to school and reports that they are territorial. I am personally thinking 2.

Laser said:
That sounds like a good solution. When you say one gourami does that mean a specific type of gourami, or just gourami in general? Also, what would be an optimal number of pictus cats? I've seen reports that they like to school and reports that they are territorial. I am personally thinking 2.

Just one gourami in general. Pictus cats I can't comment on sorry. I don't know anything about them. :/

i have two angels and the only thing ive seen em do is "lip lock" but they also are a breeding pair. ive only seen that once. they do get along nicely tho

Actually I don't now how a Pearl Gourami and Angel would work out in the same tank. I toyed around with this same combination and it seems it is very iffy. You may be able to pull it off and not have any issues. My Pearl Gourami is pretty darn laid back, but he gets anal towards my Marbled Hatchetfish during feeding. Angelfish can be fairly territorial too, which just complicates things even further. I would be interested to see how it works out for you if you do this combination.

Hi! I have an angel and a pearl gourami in a 36 gallon. They get along fairly well unless going after the same food and getting in each others space. I have seen some nose bumping to each other. BUT excluding my pleco, they are the only 2 big fish in the tank - they have plent of room.

When not hunting for the same thing, they actually hang out together. They seem to like each other really.

I'm trying to figure it out and I actually think that they are both males.

I want to move them both to my 72 gallon that I'm setting up and I like the idea of different types of Gouramis. If I knew for sure that I could pick out a female angel (as most of them are so young it is hard to tell) I would pair this one with 3 more in my 72 also.

Angels and Gouramis CAN get along - but it doesn't mean they will :)

I too plan on having a school of pictus. I'm taking one from a friend who has it in a 20 gallon. And yes, I hear a school is appropriate. I would have 5.

Back
Top Bottom