New 60 Gallon (Now 40b) Build!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Finally got the drip plate built for the sump. I have most of the holes drilled already as well. Pics to come later tonight.

Here are some pics (sorry for the glare) :).

Since we're moving this weekend i was resigned to an overturned tank as my workbench lol.
image-2697725293.jpg

Here is the tray with 53 holes successfully drilled (just realized i missed one)!

image-2869012545.jpg

1" lip on it

image-524080590.jpg

You can see how i matched the holes with the eggcrate it will sit on

image-1967715459.jpg

Finally, here it is in the sump (pardon the snake cage in the background)

image-665131980.jpg

Last edited:
skywhitney said:
Here are some pics (sorry for the glare) :).

Since we're moving this weekend i was resigned to an overturned tank as my workbench lol.

Here is the tray with 53 holes successfully drilled (just realized i missed one)!

1" lip on it

You can see how i matched the holes with the eggcrate it will sit on

Finally, here it is in the sump (pardon the snake cage in the background)

Awesome!! Good luck with the move. Is it far? I can't imagine having to rip by tank apart just to set it back up. Lol

Awesome!! Good luck with the move. Is it far? I can't imagine having to rip by tank apart just to set it back up. Lol
About 5 miles away, not to far. I am actually looking forward to the tear down that way i can get everything spick and span. I'm gonna get all the algea out of the tank that i can so that when it is all set up again I won't have to fight that right away.

skywhitney said:
About 5 miles away, not to far. I am actually looking forward to the tear down that way i can get everything spick and span. I'm gonna get all the algea out of the tank that i can so that when it is all set up again I won't have to fight that right away.
Is tomorrow the big day? :)

Is tomorrow the big day? :)

I moved the tank friday night and the rest of the house yesterday. I'm in the process of cleaning up the man cave :D so i'll jump on and give a nice rundown of everything in a little bit.

Here is a quick synopsis:
- Got the sump up and going finally (that was a fiasco)
- Lost my GBR and 3 Harlequins in the move (at least one thanks to lucky) :(
- Most of the plants are replanted, some are still bagged and in a box though. Those should be planted tonight.

Last edited:
skywhitney said:
I moved the tank friday night and the rest of the house yesterday. I'm in the process of cleaning up the man cave :D so i'll jump on and give a nice rundown of everything in a little bit.

Here is a quick synopsis:
- Got the sump up and going finally (that was a fiasco)
- Lost my GBR and 3 Harlequins in the move (at least one thanks to lucky) :(
- Most of the plants are replanted, some are still bagged and in a box though. Those should be planted tonight.

Oh no, I'm so sorry :(

Oh no, I'm so sorry :(
It's all good man, The GBR hadn't been to hot for a while. And Lucky...well that's what Angelfish do lol. The other two harlequins just couldn't deal with the move.

skywhitney said:
It's all good man, The GBR hadn't been to hot for a while. And Lucky...well that's what Angelfish do lol. The other two harlequins just couldn't deal with the move.

Darn lucky lol. Well, angels will be angels. Is lucky pretty personable? Can you take an updated picture of him for me?

Darn lucky lol. Well, angels will be angels. Is lucky pretty personable? Can you take an updated picture of him for me?

sure thing, give me a couple min :) He is really personable, he will come up to the glass, swim up to my hand if it's in the water, and he'll even eat out of my hand (or he's trying to eat my hand, i haven't decided yet lol)

All in all the move was close to 6 hours (there was other hangups that prolonged the move). Here is a list of how well the night went.

Once we finally got the tank broken down and were heading over to the house I realized that the gas hadn't been hooked up yet...No gas, no hot water heater, no hot water. I filled the tank anyway and thankfully the water came out at a solid 84 degrees. The heat from the day apparently heated out water pipes just enough! Crisis Averted!

Once we got the tank and stand all set up and filled i realized that whoever did the conversion from garage to room didn't take into account the 1/4" slope of a garage, well now the tank is just under a 1/4" slanted (I told my dad and he will be bringing some shimms so we can get it level, He's also adding shimms right off the bat to the new stand he's making me) well it'll have to do for a few days. After I noticed the slant I went to hook up the new sump and realized that the hose attached to the sump wouldn't fit the barb that was on the sump. Needless to say Lowe's isn't open at midnight so the fish had to go the night in the tank with a powerhead but no filter...(thankfully its a large tank so the water quality was still great when i got there in the morning). I finally got to Lowe's and built a new fitting which fit everything thankfully.

After that everything actually went pretty smooth. Like i said in a previous post I ended up losing My GBR and 3 Harlequins. None of the plants have melted or died so I'm happy about that. Here are a bunch of pics that shows the new setup. I decided to bypass the CO2 reactor for the moment so you'll notice the micro bubbles are going straight into the return pump and getting really chopped up so you can barely see any bubbles floating around the tank. I figured if it doesn't work I can always go in and add the reactor.

All in all i'm very happy with the sump setup so far :)

Attachments

• CO2 System.jpg
    CO2 System.jpg
    122.2 KB · Views: 45
  • CO2 Diffusion.jpg
    CO2 Diffusion.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 38
  • Overflow.jpg
    Overflow.jpg
    115.8 KB · Views: 44
  • Third Chamber.jpg
    Third Chamber.jpg
    125.7 KB · Views: 80
Tank shot the first night it was here, and another as of about an hour ago.

Attachments

• Tank 06-30-12.jpg
    Tank 06-30-12.jpg
    112.4 KB · Views: 47
  • Tank 07-01-12.jpg
    Tank 07-01-12.jpg
    112.7 KB · Views: 56
He looks so good! :D

Man, that was a rough move. Everything is so clean now lol. I vet by next week youll have another jungle.

This is probably one of the most complicated fw setups ive ever seen now lol

He looks so good! :D

Man, that was a rough move. Everything is so clean now lol. I vet by next week youll have another jungle.

This is probably one of the most complicated fw setups ive ever seen now lol
lol It's a beast for sure. If i wanted to go salt all i'd have to do is change water and substrate and I'd be set LOL

skywhitney said:
lol It's a beast for sure. If i wanted to go salt all i'd have to do is change water and substrate and I'd be set LOL

Haha yeah you pretty much could!!

I was able to trade my LFS some plants today for some Amano Shrimp :) Here's hoping they live up to their hype!

skywhitney said:
I was able to trade my LFS some plants today for some Amano Shrimp :) Here's hoping they live up to their hype!

Haha cool! Shrimp are awesome!

Updated tank shot as of July 4th.

image-1641536843.jpg

on a seperate note i decided to turn one of my spare 10g tanks into a riparium / grow out tank for selling. I picked up the substrate today so i'm gonna set it up this weekend. I'll post updates as i do it. :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom