New 60 Gallon (Now 40b) Build!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
George9 said:
Haha cool! Shrimp are awesome!

Yeah they are! Those Amano shrimp have massively cleaned off the hair algea that was left on the plants, they're awesome!

I'm in the office today and i hear a loud pop come from the sump. I find that my ceramic CO2 difusser has clogged and the CO2 line popped off, needless to say i was kinda scared before i found the cause. I couldn't get the disk unclogged so i set up the new reactor on its own maxijet powerhead in the third chamber. The output comes out right at the intake for the return pump. I've attached a pic but i'm not sure if it will help show anything or not haha

Edit: this was actually written last night but I forgot to click on the post button lol

Attachments

• image-4081431125.jpg
    image-4081431125.jpg
    130.8 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:
CO2 off gassing in the sump can be a bear to figure out. After pondering and researching how to to best keep the CO2 from off gassing I gave in to the fact that there is nothing i can do about it really. Once the water has left the overflow the CO2 that it will retain in minimal so I decided to figure out ways i could help keep the levels high in the tank. Looking from this angel i found a number of things that could be improved.

1) the backflow hole on the output was sucking a bunch of big air bubbles into the output. This was forming pretty big bubbles that were probably not helping with the CO2 retention. I covered the hole with floating leaf that way in the event of a back syphon it will spit it off and break the backflow.

2) I noticed a ton of evaporation from the overflow. Cling wrap with a small breather hole fixed that problem until the lid i ordered gets here.

3) evaporation and bad seals on the lids of the sump. I also solved that issue with Cling wrap and some tape.

4) I cranked the CO2 BPS to close to 10. This will help to keep a steady amount in the water to offset the loss.

Now to give it a couple of days to see how things are working out.

Hope all goes well :)

This thread should be called the insanely complicated 60 gallon build lol. Its amazing how much yoyve done and added to the tank equipment wise

George9 said:
Hope all goes well :)

This thread should be called the insanely complicated 60 gallon build lol. Its amazing how much yoyve done and added to the tank equipment wise

Haha thanks man. Part of me has been thinking about turning this tank into a low tech setup just to avoid all the hassle lol. But then again I have a lot invested in this. I need more tanks....that's the solution!

So i'm seriously considering turning the tank into a low tech tank or even turning my 30g into my planted tank and making this tank a reef...BUM BUM BUM!!!

I don't know, i'm seriously torn guys...

skywhitney said:
So i'm seriously considering turning the tank into a low tech tank or even turning my 30g into my planted tank and making this tank a reef...BUM BUM BUM!!!

I don't know, i'm seriously torn guys...

No no no lol, youve put so much work into this. Id keep going as a planted.

But that tank could make one sexy reef haha ;)

But then theres the cost of new bulbs, a skimmer, test kits, rock, sand, live rock, salt, powerheads, extra heaters, and corals on top of everything else.

No no no lol, youve put so much work into this. Id keep going as a planted.

But that tank could make one sexy reef haha ;)

haha yeah it could make a nice one :) I just don't know if a reef would be exciting enough for me lol.

I'm seriously thinking about turning this tank into a low tech tank and moving the high tech stuff over to my plant only tank.

But then theres the cost of new bulbs, a skimmer, test kits, rock, sand, live rock, salt, powerheads, extra heaters, and corals on top of everything else.

My light fixture is originally for a reef setup so i already have the bulbs.

I'd have to get sand, rock, and a skimmer.

Heaters and powerheads i already have.

Salt and everything i'd need to cycle a tank i can get from friends (they've already offered just so i'd convert lol)

I can get my tank completely stocked with corals for free, that would be no cost for me.

none of that really makes this decision any easier. lol

Last edited:
skywhitney said:
My light fixture is originally for a reef setup so i already have the bulbs.

I'd have to get sand, rock, and a skimmer.

Heaters and powerheads i already have.

Salt and everything i'd need to cycle a tank i can get from friends (they've already offered just so i'd convert lol)

I can get my tank completely stocked with corals for free, that would be no cost for me.

none of that really makes this decision any easier. lol

How do you get free corals?

Id say go for it if you want, partly because i can learn fron you when i eventually turn sw. Lol

Youd move everything to a 30g tank?

Tcal01 said:
How do you get free corals?

A number of people i know have so many corals they can't get rid of. One of my friends got to the point he had to put some on the back porch to die cause he couldn't offload them to anyone.

George9 said:
Id say go for it if you want, partly because i can learn fron you when i eventually turn sw. Lol

Youd move everything to a 30g tank?

The select fish and plants i'd really want to keep (Lucky for sure). Obviously it'd cut my stock in half on everything, ahh hell i don't know.

skywhitney said:
The select fish and plants i'd really want to keep (Lucky for sure). Obviously it'd cut my stock in half on everything, ahh hell i don't know.

Lol you seem pretty torn.

Id think hard about it before you make a decision. Not to mention all the research!

Lol you seem pretty torn.

Id think hard about it before you make a decision. Not to mention all the research!
Oh i'm thinking about it constantly...I'm addicted lol.

One of my issues right now is that i'm not happy with my tank, it just doesn't grab me like it did, not feeling the pride in it that i had. Regardless of my decision i think a major rescape and layout is in order.

It might be because its not as heavily planted. Dont kill me, but i think the tank looks better with a jungle and towering plants.

George9 said:
It might be because its not as heavily planted. Dont kill me, but i think the tank looks better with a jungle and towering plants.

No worries, there is no killing needed lol. It's not near as heavily planted and I agree that might be part of the issue.

To make my decision even harder I got offered 50lbs of live sand and 50lbs of live rock for $75 bucks today...I'm starting to lean towards SW cause then I can get my puffer!!

skywhitney said:
No worries, there is no killing needed lol. It's not near as heavily planted and I agree that might be part of the issue.

To make my decision even harder I got offered 50lbs of live sand and 50lbs of live rock for $75 bucks today...I'm starting to lean towards SW cause then I can get my puffer!!

Lol, go for it then!! I remember you saying you were a diver at an aquarium? Im sure you have the knowledge to keep a sw tank

George9 said:
Lol, go for it then!! I remember you saying you were a diver at an aquarium? Im sure you have the knowledge to keep a sw tank

I'm thinking i might. I have to break down the tank to move to the new stand anyway so i'll switch everything around then.

I still have a few weeks to change my mind lol

Well great news! I'm moving my planted tank to a brand new 40g i got today and i get to turn my 70g into a reef! Best of both worlds! Woohoo!!

Back
Top Bottom