New 60 Gallon (Now 40b) Build!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
skywhitney said:
Well great news! I'm moving my planted tank to a brand new 40g i got today and i get to turn my 70g into a reef! Best of both worlds! Woohoo!!

Wow, that's awesome!! I can't wait to see how the reef turns out!!

Whoo hooo

There's part of me that's a wee bit jealous lol

George9 said:
Wow, that's awesome!! I can't wait to see how the reef turns out!!

Whoo hooo

There's part of me that's a wee bit jealous lol

And there is a part of me that is a wee bit scared lol

George9 said:
Youll be fine!! You know all about sw already right?

All about? Not even close. I know the basics but there is still a lot i have to learn.

skywhitney said:
All about? Not even close. I know the basics but there is still a lot i have to learn.

Oh, you better hit the books :p

Theres lots of knowledgable salties that can help ya out too

George9 said:
Oh, you better hit the books :p

Theres lots of knowledgable salties that can help ya out too

Already hitting the books and people are already starting to help me out :)

So the 40g I have (Petco $1/gallon sale is on right now FYI) has the same footprint my 70 does with the exception of the height. The tank measures 36X18X18. I'll be using the Fluval on this again (a 406 should be sufficient on this tank)

I'm going to make the new tank low tech. The plant and animal lists i'm thinking are:

Plants:
Amazon Sword
Java fern and moss
L. Aromatica
L. Glandulosa
Rotala Macrandra Sp. Japan Red
Persicaria 'Kawagoeanum'
Ideas on ground cover? I'm thinking no go on Dwarf Sag.

Animals:
1x Angelfish
4x Peppered Cory
1x Clown Pleco
4x Nerite Snails
Shrimp (Amano and Ghost)

Ideas on lighting?

skywhitney said:
So the 40g I have (Petco $1/gallon sale is on right now FYI) has the same footprint my 70 does with the exception of the height. The tank measures 36X18X18. I'll be using the Fluval on this again (a 406 should be sufficient on this tank)

I'm going to make the new tank low tech. The plant and animal lists i'm thinking are:

Plants:
Amazon Sword
Java fern and moss
L. Aromatica
L. Glandulosa
Persicaria 'Kawagoeanum'

Animals:
1x Angelfish
4x Peppered Cory
1x Clown Pleco
4x Nerite Snails
Shrimp (Amano and Ghost)

Ideas on lighting?

Hmm, not sure the demands of all those plants but maybe a two bulb t5 ho? If you went with four bulbs youd prpbably need co2, which makes the tank high tech lpl

George9 said:
Hmm, not sure the demands of all those plants but maybe a two bulb t5 ho? If you went with four bulbs youd prpbably need co2, which makes the tank high tech lpl

The plants i listed are what i currently have in my tank so nothing new. I was thinking of a dual T5 HO fixture but with the tank only 18" high and 3-4" of substrate i think it might be too much

skywhitney said:
The plants i listed are what i currently have in my tank so nothing new. I was thinking of a dual T5 HO fixture but with the tank only 18" high and 3-4" of substrate i think it might be too much

Well, I guess the only other option would be one t5 ho bulb. That would be about, uh, 24 watts of t5 ho?

skywhitney said:

Plants:
Amazon Sword
Java fern and moss
L. Aromatica
L. Glandulosa
Persicaria 'Kawagoeanum'

Animals:
1x Angelfish
4x Peppered Cory
1x Clown Pleco
4x Nerite Snails
Shrimp (Amano and Ghost)

Ideas on lighting?

The glandulosa, aromatica, and rotala will all need high light and most likely co2. You will definitley need more than 2 t5s. Probably 4. You might be able to get away with dosing excel and no co2. But you will have to have a photo-period of about 5-6 hours. Dwarf sag is perfect for a low tech set up though

Oh well. I figured they would be hih light but thought i'd throw it out there anyway. Guess i'll just stick with:

Amazon Sword
Java fern and moss
Anubias Nana
Persicaria 'Kawagoeanum'
Dwarf Sag

Sound good?

skywhitney said:
Oh well. I figured they would be hih light but thought i'd throw it out there anyway. Guess i'll just stick with:

Amazon Sword
Java fern and moss
Anubias Nana
Persicaria 'Kawagoeanum'
Dwarf Sag

Sound good?

Yah that sounds fine. The persicaria needs only medium light so those plant choices should work fine

Edit: if you ever sell some extra persicaria i will buy some lol

Tcal01 said:
Yah that sounds fine. The persicaria needs only medium light so those plant choices should work fine

Edit: if you ever sell some extra persicaria i will buy some lol

I'll be trimming it soon and i'll be looking to sell some then. I'll let you know a soon as i do. :)

Last edited:
skywhitney said:
2w/gal considered low/med light?

Id say medium. I believe I have about 1.8 wpg and growing medium plants fine.

Wpg isn't a good rule for t5 ho though

George9 said:
Id say medium. I believe I have about 1.8 wpg and growing medium plants fine.

Wpg isn't a good rule for t5 ho though

I know its not. Its just a baseline that makes it easy to estimate off of.

So i'll be moving everything to the 40 soon. I want to get that setup completely done and established that way i don't have to worry about trying to set up two tanks at once. This will give me time to get everything just the way i want it :)

skywhitney said:
So i'll be moving everything to the 40 soon. I want to get that setup completely done and established that way i don't have to worry about trying to set up two tanks at once. This will give me time to get everything just the way i want it :)

Woot! Good luck! Are you using the canister for this tank? And the sump for tthe reef?

George9 said:
Woot! Good luck! Are you using the canister for this tank? And the sump for tthe reef?

You got it :). I think the canister will be perfect for this size tank.

Back
Top Bottom