New 60 Gallon (Now 40b) Build!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
skywhitney said:
You got it :). I think the canister will be perfect for this size tank.

Yeah that'll be lots of filtration. Can't wait to see how this turns out :)

George9 said:
Yeah that'll be lots of filtration. Can't wait to see how this turns out :)

I started the "tear dowm" of the 60g tonight. I removed all of the plants that aren't going into the 40. Lol at this speed i'll have the tanks switched by the end of the year.

Edit: here are some pics of my new tank, where the tanks are going in the man cave/fish room, and how the tank looks right now. The java fern has taken off recently!

I don't know if i want to keep this substrate or go to a sand/river rock look...thoughts?

image-2888263408.jpg

image-2825338495.jpg

image-3509517418.jpg

image-1870369185.jpg

Last edited:
Well I decided on sand / river rock combo lol. I picked up 50lvs of each today but now I'm wondering if I need another 50lbs...maybe a trip back to home depot later.

Lol I haven't been on lately sorry

I like really like the way river rocks look in tanks. Should be a nice looking scape :)

50 lbs of sand and 50 lbs of rock, so 100 lbs ttotal? That seems like it would be good enough. 150 lbs seems like a lot

George9 said:
Lol I haven't been on lately sorry

I like really like the way river rocks look in tanks. Should be a nice looking scape :)

50 lbs of sand and 50 lbs of rock, so 100 lbs ttotal? That seems like it would be good enough. 150 lbs seems like a lot

No worries buddy.

I'm going to put it into the tank and then gauge if I need more. Currently I have about 175 lbs of substrate so we'll see how it looks

skywhitney said:
No worries buddy.

I'm going to put it into the tank and then gauge if I need more. Currently I have about 175 lbs of substrate so we'll see how it looks

Thats a ton of substrate lol

The tank has a nice clean look now, its weird not seeing so many plants!

It's very weird lol. In a way its nice though cause i get to actually see some of my shrimp and snails and such. There will be more plants than this in the 40g though.

I had no idea i could stick so many buckets and rubbermaid containers in my man cave lol.

I'm finishing the break down and build of the tanks today. It's a bit insane in here lol. the water pressure at the new house leaves a little to be desired so the draining of the main tank is taking quite a while...

Edit: so the 100lbs of sand and rock will be more than enough. I don't know if I'm going to use it all.

Last edited:
Ugh! In my rush to get the tanks switched i dumped the sand and gravel in and filled up the tank. About half way full i thought "wow that water is cloudy..." then realized i forgot to rinse either bags of new substrate! Grr.

Needless to say it'll be a while before it settles then i'll do a quick surface vaccuum to get as much dust as possible. I can't believe i did that.

skywhitney said:
Ugh! In my rush to get the tanks switched i dumped the sand and gravel in and filled up the tank. About half way full i thought "wow that water is cloudy..." then realized i forgot to rinse either bags of new substrate! Grr.

Needless to say it'll be a while before it settles then i'll do a quick surface vaccuum to get as much dust as possible. I can't believe i did that.

Lol that sucks. At least its not like my black sand (that stuff succkked rinsing it lol) It'll clear up. Just don't run the filter or anything.

New 40B!

Here's the new setup and pic of Lucky!

Attachments

• Tank 07-23-12.jpg
    Tank 07-23-12.jpg
    200.8 KB · Views: 54
  • Lucky 07-23-12.jpg
    Lucky 07-23-12.jpg
    203.5 KB · Views: 60
skywhitney said:
Here's the new setup and pic of Lucky!

Whoa!!!! Looks awesome!! This is all happening so fast lol

Lucky looks like hes/shes maturing a little :) his color is changing a bit and he looks bigger :D

Whoa!!!! Looks awesome!! This is all happening so fast lol

Lucky looks like hes/shes maturing a little :) his color is changing a bit and he looks bigger :D

yeah it's happening really fast. It's kinda hard to remember where I am with what project at times. I finally had to write everything down that i had to do that way i could keep track of it all. Well my FW tank is now done so its one less thing to worry about. I still have a few plants that i have to put in there but it's pretty much setup.

yeah he's probably about half dollar size now. His colors are still kinda faded due to the move and just having the lights turned on, usually he's a bright blue with a metallic sheen.

So the tank looked way to empty so i added the Black Neons back. Looks much better now :)

Added the HM and some of the Aromatica to the tank. Whatcha think?

Attachments

• image-2651401457.jpg
    image-2651401457.jpg
    136.1 KB · Views: 75

I feel like its missing something on the right side....rock maybe?

Edit: not rock, maybe a different kind of plant or layout?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom