New 60 Gallon (Now 40b) Build!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I would expect to see a little amm buildup while your bb adjusts to the new bioload.

But, like you said, just keep an eye on those levels and pwc.

While the tank is adjusting i might actually do a check in the morning and at night just to make sure. I just happy healthy fish! :fish2:

people say once a day is enough, but I know when I upgraded to my 55, I was checking it every 12 hours... lol

skywhitney said:
While the tank is adjusting i might actually do a check in the morning and at night just to make sure. I just happy healthy fish! :fish2:

Yeah, I did that lol. I went through ammonia tests like crazy though!

Donkey Gun said:
people say once a day is enough, but I know when I upgraded to my 55, I was checking it every 12 hours... lol

George9 said:
Yeah, I did that lol. I went through ammonia tests like crazy though!

For the well being of my fish (and my peace of mind) I can pick up another ammonia test set if needbe :) lol and im sure i will have too by the time his is done!

I just found some pond snails...and its their lucky day. I need something to start working on this algea problem!

skywhitney said:
I just found some pond snails...and its their lucky day. I need something to start working on this algea problem!

I hate those! I just found some in my tank too! They're just too small helpless to kill though :)

George9 said:
I hate those! I just found some in my tank too! They're just too small helpless to kill though :)

Thats how these guys are too! As long as you keep their numbers in check i think they're actually kinda beneficial since they help take care of algea and dead plant material. Just me though :)

A plant I bought, the fern in the center of my 10 gallon, came with tons of snail eggs tucked away. Before I knew it, I was dealing with an army of baby snails.

My first move was to buy a couple assassin snails, which slowly keeps them at bay. In addition, I'll put a leaf of lettuce attached to a rock for day, and 20+ snails will latch onto it thinking they've found paradise. But, in actuality, it's a quick trip to the freezer.

At any given moment though, I bet there is at least 100+ snails still lurking around.

Donkey Gun said:
A plant I bought, the fern in the center of my 10 gallon, came with tons of snail eggs tucked away. Before I knew it, I was dealing with an army of baby snails.

My first move was to buy a couple assassin snails, which slowly keeps them at bay. In addition, I'll put a leaf of lettuce attached to a rock for day, and 20+ snails will latch onto it thinking they've found paradise. But, in actuality, it's a quick trip to the freezer.

At any given moment though, I bet there is at least 100+ snails still lurking around.

Ok well that might be a pain...i can absolutely agree there!

Dosing CO2 daily has really helped stop and in some cases kill the algea that was growing. Anyone recommend a good CO2 setup?

Nice! I just did the calculation and my tank is actually 67.4 Gallons! I know its only an extra 7 gallons but its still exciting...lol

skywhitney said:
Nice! I just did the calculation and my tank is actually 67.4 Gallons! I know its only an extra 7 gallons but its still exciting...lol

Sweet!! It is an odd shape for a 60 gallon tank. I always wonder why tanks are made on such weird numbers, 67 gallon, 36 gallon, 29 gallon-really why do we need a 29 gallon when there's a 30 g?

Sweet!! It is an odd shape for a 60 gallon tank. I always wonder why tanks are made on such weird numbers, 67 gallon, 36 gallon, 29 gallon-really why do we need a 29 gallon when there's a 30 g?

I've wondered that as well...makes no sense to me but they probably translate into liters correctly...

Did some trimming and replanting tonight. Im also starting to see growth from the dwarf sag! Yay! Sorry about the pic fuzzyness, its the algea growing on the glass and my phones camera.

I replanted the Wisteria trimmings by the small DW pieces so that eventually it might be a "fry friendly" place until i can net them out.

Last edited:
skywhitney said:
Did some trimming and replanting tonight. Im also starting to see growth from the dwarf sag! Yay! Sorry about the pic fuzzyness, its the algea growing on the glass and my phones camera.

I replanted the Wisteria trimmings by the small DW pieces so that eventually it might be a "fry friendly" place until i can net them out.

Wow! I really like the new scaping. Once it all acclimates and starts growing in, it will look amazing!!

As for the Algea, if it's brown, it's your diatoms blooming, which is completely normal for a new tank.

However, I can't explain why there would be algae growing on the camera.. How are the levels?? :p

Donkey Gun said:
Wow! I really like the new scaping. Once it all acclimates and starts growing in, it will look amazing!!

As for the Algea, if it's brown, it's your diatoms blooming, which is completely normal for a new tank.

However, I can't explain why there would be algae growing on the camera.. How are the levels?? :p

Thanks! LOL My corys like to browse AA on the phone like i do! :-D The levels are kinda weird, im showing all zeros across the board now even in nitrates. I'll retest today and see what they say.

The algea is some brown diatoms and hair algea. Im apparently having some problems keeping my CO2 levels up to where they need to be. Any suggestions as to a good CO2 system or just the DIY method?

Last edited:
skywhitney said:
Thanks! LOL My corys like to browse AA on the phone like i do! :-D The levels are kinda weird, im showing all zeros across the board now even in nitrates. I'll retest today and see what they say.

The algea is some brown diatoms and hair algea. Im apparently having some problems keeping my CO2 levels up to where they need to be. Any suggestions as to a good CO2 system or just the DIY method?

The nitrate test has to be PERFECT to get good results. I spilled a drop once and got 0 nitrates because of that missing drop. Make sure your shaking the bejesus out of the second nitrate bottle. There's a powder in there that you gotta mix well

George9 said:
The nitrate test has to be PERFECT to get good results. I spilled a drop once and got 0 nitrates because of that missing drop. Make sure your shaking the bejesus out of the second nitrate bottle. There's a powder in there that you gotta mix well

I think thats what it was. I retested tonight and im showing nitrates just under 5ppm again :). I was kinda nervous about a cycle crash but crash avoided this time!

Back
Top Bottom