New 60 Gallon (Now 40b) Build!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So the platys i got for this tank are having their babies tonight! Yay!! :-D

So only one fish had one baby so far. What the he** is going on lol...now it looks like they have another week! Is there an easy way to read when they actually will give birth?

Last edited:
Honestly, I have no idea. I don't know much about breeding and giving birth. Sorry :(

George9 said:
Honestly, I have no idea. I don't know much about breeding and giving birth. Sorry :(

No worries :) well at least I have one baby so far!

My Paradise Gourami experiance

The Paradise Gourami is generally a peaceful fish but two males may very well fiight to the death ,much like Siamese Fighting Fish. This fish enjoys plenty of cover and does very well with live floating plants.

Im more of a predator tank kind of guy when it comes to tropical fish in general.

The Paradise Gourami is generally a peaceful fish but two males may very well fiight to the death ,much like Siamese Fighting Fish. This fish enjoys plenty of cover and does very well with live floating plants.

Im more of a predator tank kind of guy when it comes to tropical fish in general.
Thanks for the advice! I'll definitely take that into account once i start choosing a centerpiece fish :)

so the last few times I tested my water i'm coming across with 7.5/0/0/0....steady every time. Do you think because of the amount of plants i have in there they are consuming everything before it has time to establish? The only fish i have in there right now are

1x clown pleco
2x peppered cory
2x gold platys

Is the bioload not large enough?

On a speerate note, i dosed iwth my flourish middle of last week and now some of the leaves on my swords are starting to turn brown then yellow then almost transparent. Someone told me i might have to much iron in my system (flourite, root tabs for the swords, then flourish) which they aren't liking. Anyone ever come across this?

Alright guys i need stocking help! Please give me suggestions!

As of right now all i have is:

1x clown pleco
2x peppered cory
3x gold platy

I was thinking about:

1x clown pleco
5x peppered cory
5-6 gold platy
6-10 espei raspbora
???

What would be a good centerpiece fish? Any and all help is really appreciated!

Well, thats very little bioload in a tank that big, so your plants might be using the few nitrates in there. You probably know this, but (assuming you are using a liquid test kit), you need to shake the HECK out of the nitrate bottle to get a reaction.
I think oyur stock sounds fine. I would go with more espei rasboras rather with fewer. they are a bit small anyway, so only 6 would just be lost in a tank that big. If I was you, I would get more like 12-14. Up to you of course though. :)
One cool centerpiece fish would be a paradise fish. :)

absolutangel04 said:
Well, thats very little bioload in a tank that big, so your plants might be using the few nitrates in there. You probably know this, but (assuming you are using a liquid test kit), you need to shake the HECK out of the nitrate bottle to get a reaction.
I think oyur stock sounds fine. I would go with more espei rasboras rather with fewer. they are a bit small anyway, so only 6 would just be lost in a tank that big. If I was you, I would get more like 12-14. Up to you of course though. :)
One cool centerpiece fish would be a paradise fish. :)

I've been leaning toward the plants eating the bioload also. I am using the API master set and I usually try to shake it but maybe I'm just not doing it enough...I have to test my water today so I'll try more shaking!

I like the idea of having a larger school of the espeis so I think I'll bump the number up to about 14 :) I know my count was really low but I'm not to sure about the bioloads of the different species yet. That's why I joined AA though, to ask for help!

skywhitney said:
I've been leaning toward the plants eating the bioload also. I am using the API master set and I usually try to shake it but maybe I'm just not doing it enough...I have to test my water today so I'll try more shaking!

I like the idea of having a larger school of the espeis so I think I'll bump the number up to about 14 :) I know my count was really low but I'm not to sure about the bioloads of the different species yet. That's why I joined AA though, to ask for help!

Yes!! Get a larger school. Espei rasboras (or some people call them porkchop Rasboras) are really really colorful. So much better than harlequins.

George9 said:
Yes!! Get a larger school. Espei rasboras (or some people call them porkchop Rasboras) are really really colorful. So much better than harlequins.

Thats exactly why i wanted them!

George9 said:
It's looking fantastic!! Your plants look great!

Thanks! I'm running into some nutrient issues though. I'm getting help with that in another thread though :)

Got 3 more platy and 2 more peppered Cory tonight :) here's hoping everyone comes out of qt healthy and without incident..

skywhitney said:
Got 3 more platy and 2 more peppered Cory tonight :) here's hoping everyone comes out of qt healthy and without incident..

I love platies!! I hope all goes well and they can be added soon.

Back
Top Bottom