New 60 Gallon (Now 40b) Build!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
George9 said:
I love platies!! I hope all goes well and they can be added soon.

They're awesome! Im super stoked to add these corys too :)

Did my first water change tonight, 50%. My numbers are still reading 7.6/0/0/0 but i'm pretty sure the plants sucked all the nutrients they could from the water so I think i'm going to start doing my weekly WCs even though i'm showing no signs of cycling. I'm kinda wondering if i'm going to end up doing one of the silent cycles, I guess we'll see. Plants and animals all seem really happy so here's hoping it helped out!

The newest acquisition :) ABN only about an inch long. Just barely starting to see little nubs where the bristles will be.

Last edited:
absolutangel04 said:
Nice addition. Personally, I am not a fan of them once they bigger, but I do like the little ones. Lol.

I got it cause it'll stay on the smaller end of the pleco spectrum. "he", since i have no idea on the sex yet, seems to be a chill little guy. He doesn't get easily startled, already munching down on half a wafer, and seems to actually have some personality :)

Here are some pics i got tonight. All the Platys are starting to color up really nicely, the Cory's are all acting as crazy as I expected, the plecos are doing their thing and going at the DW and algae.

My stocking as of right now is:

• 1X Clown Pleco
  • 1X Albino Bristlenose Pleco
  • 4X Peppered Cory
  • 6X Platy (various types)
  • 1X Nerite Snail
  • 1X Ramshorn Snail

I'm thinking about doing either a school of the Espei Raspboras or Zebra/Leopard Danios. I'm a little hesitant about the Espei's just do to the fact that they are so small. Any thoughts?

The plants that I currently have are:
  • Wisteria
  • Dwarf Sag
  • Amazon Sword
  • Didiplis Diandra
  • Java Fern
  • Glossostigma
I've ordered some dry ferts that should be here on the 28th so hopefully once I can get a good dosing regimen down the plants will start to grow as quickly as they should.

I tested my water today as well and I'm still showing
PH - 7.6
Ammonia - 0
Nitrites - 0
NitrAtes - 0

Sorry for such as long post, this is also serving as a status update and timeline for me to track whats happening with the tank as well.

Last edited:
More pics since i hit my limit for the post.

Last edited:
Your tank is looking great! I'd go for the espeis because they're very colorful. IMO zebra danios are boring with the blue stripes and just so common. They don't stand out. JMO

George9 said:
Your tank is looking great! I'd go for the espeis because they're very colorful. IMO zebra danios are boring with the blue stripes and just so common. They don't stand out. JMO

Do you think it would like kind of weird with all my other fish at least 2" then a school of these little guys? That's my main concern, how the size comparison is going to look...

skywhitney said:
Do you think it would like kind of weird with all my other fish at least 2" then a school of these little guys? That's my main concern, how the size comparison is going to look...

No, not at all. I believe they can be around 1"-1.5" which is not that small. Especially if you do a large school of maybe 12+

George9 said:
No, not at all. I believe they can be around 1"-1.5" which is not that small. Especially if you do a large school of maybe 12+

Hmm i'll look into them more then. There is only one lfs that sells them, and they're $4.99/fish so their a little on the pricey side.

Just got this picture. It's pretty rare that my clown pleco comes out while the light is on. These guys are pretty cute actually :)

Last edited:
I am just going to throw in here that I actually think the size difference between espeis (or even the harlequin rasbora which is similar) and your other 2 inch schoolers makes the tank look cool. It makes everything look less uniform so the eye is naturally drawn all over the tank. Different sized fish give depth. :)

so i went to the lfs today with the intent of getting a school of espies only to find out they went up in price to $7/fish! I then bought a water sprite and left fishless lol.

On a separate note i got my shipment of dry ferts in for my plants, i just did the first recommended dose so here's hoping it works without any repercussions!

so i went to the lfs today with the intent of getting a school of espies only to find out they went up in price to $7/fish! I then bought a water sprite and left fishless lol.

On a separate note i got my shipment of dry ferts in for my plants, i just did the first recommended dose so here's hoping it works without any repercussions!
Bummer. Thats pretty spendy. :(
Water sprite is cool though. :)
Let us know how the ferts go. I have heard dry ferts are a much better investment than the bottled ferts. :)

Bummer. Thats pretty spendy. :(
Water sprite is cool though. :)
Let us know how the ferts go. I have heard dry ferts are a much better investment than the bottled ferts. :)

Thats what i've been told as well so I'm keeping my fingers crossed! I'll keep you updated. I have a thread about my swords where we're talking alot of ferts and plant deficiencies so if my pain can help someone else its worth it! lol
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f24/amazon-sword-help-193986.html

If you wouldn't mind ordering them online, I know of a place that sells them for around $2.50 I think each. It's called Bobs Tropcal Plants lemme get a link for ya.

Edit-I lied they're actually 2 bucks each! Trigonostigma espei - Bobs Tropical Plants

But I think the 12 pack is the best deal

Awesome! Thanks man! I was thinking about getting 10-12 so I'll definitely take a look at that 12 pack. Have you ordered from them before? I would much rather pay $2/fish!

skywhitney said:
Thats what i've been told as well so I'm keeping my fingers crossed! I'll keep you updated. I have a thread about my swords where we're talking alot of ferts and plant deficiencies so if my pain can help someone else its worth it! lol
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f24/amazon-sword-help-193986.html

Awesome! Thanks man! I was thinking about getting 10-12 so I'll definitely take a look at that 12 pack. Have you ordered from them before? I would much rather pay $2/fish!

Never ordered before, but talked to him about ordering and heard nothing but good things from reviews and such. He'll even refund the extra shipping cost if the system charges more than the actual cost :)

Thinking about getting some shrimp for the tank but can't decide if i should do CRS or Amanos. Any ideas?

I decided no on ghost shrimp sine they'll eat my platy fry.

Just saw a platy fry in my tank :) maybe they will have a couple babies after all ( im a little pesimistic cause i have two mickey mouse females that have been holding onto their fry for at least a min of 35 days so far.)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom