New 75 Gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hey Travis, thanks for those links, those tanks are truly spectacular. I am sorry I havn't been around for a bit, as corny as it sounds, part of me died when I lost my cat. He was a cool friend, I am just now starting to feel motivated to do stuff again. My tanks have been badly neglected, I did a magor cleaning of tanks and filters on the weekend, totally re-did a couple of the smaller ones. Ill post some shots later. Thanks for the kind comments. People like you are what motivate me!

glenc ur tank is awesome how much do u want for it:)lol i think i should go to a bigger tank and try aquascaping there there is so much more i can work with at that size:) but i am stuck with my 10g for now but very nice work:)

Thanks Ryan! You know, I think I kinda prefer smaller tanks! I just re-did my original 10 gallon, I'll post some shots of it later tonight in my old 10 gallon thread. It's on this forum. Don't have the pics loaded in this computer or I'd do it now. See what you think!

Hi Glenc, glad to see you back. Sorry about the loss of the cat. I went through the same thing when my cat just vanished one day, never seen her since. The neighbors seemed to think that she she just went off to find a place to die, as many cats do. She was getting pretty old, but didn't seem like she was that old.

As for my tanks, they've been neglected a bit too. My 55G was looking pretty bad til this last weekend. My worst tank now is my 29G. The 75G is looking great right now. But the 29G has become the Algae Tank, lol. Got that same crud that I had way back, the stuff that looks horrid, lol. Eventually I want to tear this tank down and start over.

Few new shots, got some Red Cambomba in the back, special order for someone that never picked it up, thought I'd give it a try. Pulled and re-planted some new S. valerandi mid ground, will look better when it grows in taller. Way in the back center I'm trying Limnophila aromatica once more. Melted away on me the first time in my 20. Hoping it will fill in the mid back. Green gecko is a little bigger than I want in the mid front, havn't decided what to do with it yet. Pics mainly just to show growth with the Turface MVP, pretty good so far. Lots of growing in to do, still trying to get a decent foreground happening. Still experimenting with colours and textures. Working on it :)

Attachments

• img_0188_189.jpg
    img_0188_189.jpg
    209.4 KB · Views: 42
  • img_0190_159.jpg
    img_0190_159.jpg
    191.8 KB · Views: 40
  • img_0192_260.jpg
    img_0192_260.jpg
    231.5 KB · Views: 45
Forgot to mention I'm still running only 130 wts CF on this tank, 10 hours a day.
I"m really am having a hard time keeping the other 130 wt off. Had to take the bulbs out of the fixture to take the temptation away! The colours are just so much prettier with higher light.
Tank is performing well, almost no algea. Plants are healthy, there are a couple of higher light plants in there. As long as it stays that way the light will remain at 130 wts. I am curious to see if the Cambomba can make it in this light, I am told it needs very high light, 3+ watts per gallon or more. We'll see :)

That tank looks really nice.

I have been looking for a good reason to cut back from my 260w cf in the 55 gallon tank. I think you may have just provided that reason, it works!

Keep the updates coming please.

Your tanks looks so wonderful. Ah to have that much space to play in. Someday.

Gorgeous! I am trying to cut back on the light in my tank, as I am tired of trimming all the time. The Cabomba looks great, can you get any closeup pics of some of the plants?

Close ups, ask and you shall receive :)
Please excuse the crappy photo skills!

Attachments

• img_0217_167.jpg
    img_0217_167.jpg
    176.8 KB · Views: 23
  • img_0210_853.jpg
    img_0210_853.jpg
    135.8 KB · Views: 24
  • img_0211_793.jpg
    img_0211_793.jpg
    195.9 KB · Views: 31
  • img_0213_779.jpg
    img_0213_779.jpg
    208.7 KB · Views: 17
  • img_0215_182.jpg
    img_0215_182.jpg
    176.3 KB · Views: 25
  • img_0216_131.jpg
    img_0216_131.jpg
    159.6 KB · Views: 30
Very nice, that cabomba is gorgeous. I really need to get me some of that Lobelia too....when i come back from vacation in a couple of weeks my tank is getting a major overhaul.

Thanks for the comments guys, the Cabomba is growing real fast, already shooting across the top of the tank! I'll be topping and re-planting it real soon. Plants always do really well for me at the start, takes a month or so to tell if they will make it or not. The verdict is still out on the Cabomba. I have large and small form Lobelia, both have done very well in my lower light and rock hard water. Took a while for the large version to take hold, no stopping it now. :)

Glenc, if you don’t mind me asking, what are your dosing regimens? The plants look great and the growth is equally amazing. I’m curious because the red color seem so vivid and I know it isn’t attributed to light along, it has to be the “diet” you have your plants on.

The tank looks great, although not really a huge fan of “Dutch Style” you pulled this off nicely… congrats.

Dan

Thanks for the kind words dantra. Since reducing the light back to 130 wts CF I'm only dosing macros twice a week, even with this much plant mass.
After a 50% water change every Friday night, I dose
1/2 teaspoon KNO4 for nitrates, 1/10th teaspoon KH2P04 for phosphate
1 teaspoon K2S04 for potassium. Same thing Tuesday night, then 50%water change Friday night, start again.
This has worked well for me for the past few months, keeping my fert levels of NO3 and P04 at at around a 10:1.5 ratio, test once in a while to make sure. Don't measure Potassium, dose according to Chuck's calculator to give me 10 ppm.
I dose 10ml of Tropica Master grow once a week on Monday night for traces. I dose at night only because that's when I'm home from work to do it. Thats it for now.
Of course this recipe can change anytime I add more light or more plants. Been running pretty smooth like this for a while now. :)

Just a quick shot of the Cabomba which surprisingly is doing quite well in my very hard water. Everything I read recommendeds soft water for this plant. This is right after a water change, looks like it's snowing in my tank!
It's only been a little over a week, time will tell. :)

Attachments

• img_0244_904.jpg
    img_0244_904.jpg
    234.6 KB · Views: 65
Yet another update, tank is running well on 130wts cf, no major problems or complaints.
Here is the tank tonight. Removed S.valerandi, moved the crypt green gecko to the mid ground, getting to big up front. Still working on getting a decent foreground. I have planted some of the clover from my ten gallon, it's starting to take hold. :)

Attachments

• img_0444_990.jpg
    img_0444_990.jpg
    218.1 KB · Views: 69
  • img_0442_915.jpg
    img_0442_915.jpg
    228 KB · Views: 59
Back
Top Bottom