New 75 Gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I like it Glen. Neo-Dutch (is that a word?) is what I would call it. A new take on Dutch-style aquascaping. You've got many of the traditional Dutch plants but the arrangement is new, more horizontal than vertical. The trimming work is excellent, too, and must have taken some time.

I must agree that the maintainance looks great, as well as the tank.

IMO the foreground seems very bare. That's the first thing that stuck out when I looked at those pics. I am not saying your tank doesn't look good, just giving you my impression. (and no, I don't have a tank that compares to what you have done, just a comment and nothing more.)

Thanks for the comments guys, I think the dutch style is my fav, not sure what I'm doing! I just stick stuff in, stand back and look, change it until I like it. The mid ground hedge is a plant that I never had much luck with, Micranthemum umbrosum. Supposed to be an easy plant but in the past it has always melted away on me after a couple of weeks. This time it is growing and responding well to trimming and shaping. Started with two small plants. Just goes to show you, if at first you don't succeed... The Althernantherea reineckii in the back left is starting to grow taller, been back in the tank only a few weeks. Mid ground is Rotala indica, a gift from Travis. Getting a nice pink near the top. Far right next to the Lobelia is a mystery plant, got 4 bunches at Pet smart for 3.99 It was in very poor lighting and is coming back strong. It looks like Ludwigia palustris that I used to have. Once the back ground is happening I will work on a foreground. You are right rkilling1, it needs one. So far all attempts at foreground plants have failed in this tank. I had no problem growing foreground plants in tanks using Eco-complete. I am starting to think the Turface substrate is the problem. I have ran much higher lighting with no better results as far as foreground plants go. I may end up putting a couple of inches of Eco just at the front below the tank frame so you can't see it, then get me some HC happening. Rkilling1, please don't ever think you are offending me in any way with your comments. You are a very talented guy and your comments and advice are most appreciated. And you do have a tank that compares to mine, in fact, in my humble opinion, your tanks are some of the nicest I've seen anywhere. I look to them often for inspiration. :)

That tank is just looking awsome. I like how there is a defined diagonal line from one corner to the other, a classic triangular layout. Nice growth, and excellent trimming. I can only imagine how much nicer it looks in person.

Just a shot tonight to show a couple of weeks new growth. Don't forget I'm still only running half the light I have at 130wtCF.
I am getting a 125 gallon this weekend. I'm hooked on big tanks. They are just so darn beautiful! I'll post shots when I get it set up. :)

Attachments

• img_0992_827.jpg
    img_0992_827.jpg
    131.3 KB · Views: 126
Very nice Glen! Your plant groupings a extremely well-defined and have great contrast in leaf size, texture, and color. The shaping of the groups is also excellent. I love seeing Dutch aquascaping done well :) It is harder to do than it might look.

I'm anxious to see what you do with your new 125G. Is it a 6' long 125G? That's what I've used for over three years now and I love it, although, because of its aspect ratio, it is harder to photograph well than a 75G.

Thanks Travis, coming from you that means alot. I honestly don't really know what I'm doing aqua-scape wise. I keep adding, taking away till I get something I like. Then I'll snap a shot and show you guys. It's alot of fun!
The 125 is a 6 footer, got it set up tonight. Actually, you inspired me to go for the 125. I love your tank. It is always stunning, one of the best tanks anywhere. You have the guts to take an already beautiful layout and totally re do it. I'm never disapointed! I am Running a Fluval 405 and a 305 on the 125 for now, using Turface MVP again, cheap but good. Got to up grade the lighting, just don't have the dough right now. Just under 3 wpg at the moment. I'll post a few shots when it's worthy :)

Glen............fantastic job on this tank.......I just read it (well slowly skimmed it) all 11 pages and I love how it's progressed.
I've never studied the aquascaping styles.....does dutch style exclude driftwood or something? I'm just wondering cuz as I read over this thread I kept expecting to see some added in.

Good question Glitch, I don't really know myself! I never really tried to make this tank a dutch style tank, though dutch style tanks are my fav. This one just just kinda went that way. I have torn this tank down. Got frustrated, not known for my patience. I have recently started a planted 125, about 2 months in now. It's been a tough tank to do, hard to make it look good, still have allot of replanting and re arranging to do. Just starting to look ok. I'll start a new thread to show you all what I've been up to.:)

Back
Top Bottom