New addition: Pencil Urchin

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kiko

Aquarium Advice Regular
I just added a Pencil Urchin on Monday afternoon. Does anyone have any experience with these?

This was locally caught specimen, and hopefully will adjust well to my tank. Two of my fish and all of my liverock and water is of local Maui origins.

I'd like to add a pincushion urchin as well.

Since Monday evening, I have not seen the pencil urchin, but understand that they are nocturnal and usually come out at night.

I'd appreciate any feedback that anyone might have!

I received a pencil urchin as a hitch hiker from an order from LR.com

I've had him for months now, i don't remember when i got the order, but it's probably been 9 months or longer

he survived my tanks cycle, all be it a short one, and also survived a heater malfunction that got my tank temp super high, so, mine at least, seems to be pretty hardy

they are supposed to eat coraline algae, but i honestly haven't noticed, and if they do if anything all that will do is help it spread through out the tank as it leaves its droppings

I've heard they are "bulldozers" and will plow through corals or what ever else gets in there way but I haven't had an issues

they are nocturnal...when the lights go on mine pretty much stays still through out the day, but will move around a lot at night. I will go days if not a week or so at a time with out seeing it depending on where in the rock work he will decide to hide

I've heard of people "spot feeding" urchins by putting some nori or dried seaweed basicly under them, but i haven't had to do anything like this at all, he seems to get what he needs from the LR

Hope that helps you out some

Back
Top Bottom