New additions!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ukskater01

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi everyone, I've recently set up a tropical tank, a 30l tank my dad gave me. I bought a eheim 2008 pick up filter and a Hagen 50w heater with fake plant with 10w led flood light.Everything was good for the first few days(after I ran the tank for a week with safe start) and then two died :( another died a day later:(
I was told to stop changing the water so frequently and turn the temp up to around 26'C which I have.
They remaining three are now doing a lot better. Myself and my girlfriend were walking past the aquarium centre today so I thought let's get one more guppy to make it a bit more even. My girlfriend picked out a Siamese fighting fish, the shop had him in with the guppies and said he would be fine with my other male guppies. I've just read male guppies aren't the best companions for betta's, the new guppy seems to be fitting in well with my others guppies but they all seem to huddle together now away from the betta. I think the betta was trying to nip the guppies tails earlier but he hasn't done it since. He seems to be quite shy and hide beside the filter or heater, is this normal as he's in a new tank. I'm going to get some new plants tommorow and maybe a cave. He didn't eat the flakes I gave the guppies so I'm going to get pellets but I'm worried the guppies will try and eat them. What do you think. Sorry for the essay.

So it's a 30 liter? That's only about 8 US gallons. How many guppies do you have?

First, water changes will not do any harm. Running the tank for a week won't cycle it; the bacteria in a bottle stuff is hit and miss but without an ammonia source the tank can't cycle. Now that you have fish they are putting out ammonia which is toxic to them. Read this guide, it will help: I just learned about cycling but I already have fish. What now?! - Aquarium Advice

You need to get a good test liquid kit (API Master) and read up on cycling and start doing extra water changes to keep ammonia down (the guide above will tell you how). This one has general info on tank care as well: Guide to Starting a Freshwater Aquarium - Aquarium Advice

Bettas can be hit and miss with other fish, particuarly in a small tank with guppies. I suspect you may have problems eventually but a lot of it depends on the fish's personalities. Unfortunately adding more fish to a new uncycled tank is not a good idea as it will just add to the amount of ammonia being produced.

Back
Top Bottom