New Aquarium Owner

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
They dont have the master kit. They dont stock it. That is why I grabbed this. The only thing they have for nitrite and nitrate is this:

5 in 1 Aquarium Test Strips - API

Will this work or am I going to have to drive to Pet Smart to get something different?

ccross said:
They dont have the master kit. They dont stock it. That is why I grabbed this. The only thing they have for nitrite and nitrate is this:

5 in 1 Aquarium Test Strips - API

Will this work or am I going to have to drive to Pet Smart to get something different?

If you're using strips...you might as well guess the level IMO. I'd say save your money until you can get a liquid test.

Welcome to AA.. Don't feel bad... Almost everyone has had a GF in a bowl or 10g at some point. I got GF for my 10gs. I now have 3 fancy goldfish in a 55g and they are amazing fish! I love them ;)

prime will help u with ammonia. It's a little more pricy but worth it. Ur GF look tiny still so I think u can do it ( cycling) with lots of work and patiences :) good luck :)) keep up with daily water changes ...

None of the stores out here carry Prime. At least not Walmart or Pet Depo. This is getting more and more fun, lol

If you're using strips...you might as well guess the level IMO. I'd say save your money until you can get a liquid test.

I cant even find a liquid Nitrate/Nitrite test kit on API's website.

ccross said:
None of the stores out here carry Prime. At least not Walmart or Pet Depo. This is getting more and more fun, lol

Ehhh ok if u can Find aqueon ammonia neutralizer I would recommend that
Next :)

I don't think API sells them directly, but they do make them (I've bought them). Places like Amazon have good prices and you can find pretty much whatever. The no2 and no3 test kit you can get by without for a week or so...but a quality water conditioner like Prime or Amquel are pretty much mandatory.

ccross said:
That I might be able to find. I know Pet Smart carries alot of Aqueon stuff. Thanks :)

Just make sure any product you buy neutralizes ammonia, chlorine and chloramines. Don't let them talk you into some type if filter media that absorbs it. We don't want to remove it...we want to temporarily neutralize it. Your bacteria needs the ammonia to cycle. I think API Ammo lock does that...but I don't think it dechlorinates which you also need. I'm pretty sure if the big stores don't have Prime, they should at least have Amquel.

I don't think API sells them directly, but they do make them (I've bought them). Places like Amazon have good prices and you can find pretty much whatever. The no2 and no3 test kit you can get by without for a week or so...but a quality water conditioner like Prime or Amquel are pretty much mandatory.

I have been using Jungle brand Start Right water conditioner...

img_1501576_0_69674fe93d142082b32a0979932735d3.jpg

Is that sufficient?

Crap.. just read that the Start Right only removes Chlorine and Chloromimes, not Ammonia...

ccross said:
That I might be able to find. I know Pet Smart carries alot of Aqueon stuff. Thanks :)

Yeah I've gotten it at PetSmart... That'll help u out. It is a neutralizer and works for chloramines too I believe. I used it b4 I started using prime. I switched to the ammonia neutralizer bc I had chloramines in my water which test for ammonia...

ccross said:
Crap.. just read that the Start Right only removes Chlorine and Chloromimes, not Ammonia...

Chloramines are actually a chlorine / ammonia mixture...so it may neutralize ammo if it says it deals with chloramines. I'm not familiar with the product though.

Chloramines are actually a chlorine / ammonia mixture...so it may neutralize ammo if it says it deals with chloramines. I'm not familiar with the product though.

Its the Walmart brand. It was bought for us with the first GF so I never thought to try anything else. I'm learning too much, my head hurts :facepalm::)

eco23 said:

Right :) chlorine/ ammo = chloramines. I'm pretty sure it works.... I've used it. Although in not a pro lol

Just tested the Ammonia level and it was at 0.25 ppm mg/L. THe tank has been running with fish for about 3 days now. Is this good or bad? I generally do a 25% PWC every morning with the water conditioner.

ccross said:
Just tested the Ammonia level and it was at 0.25 ppm mg/L. THe tank has been running with fish for about 3 days now. Is this good or bad? I generally do a 25% PWC every morning with the water conditioner.

For now, it's okay...always try to keep it at or below .25 at all times IMO, but it'll take some time for the ammonia to start building up and really becoming a challenge. Doing the daily water changes is your fishes saving grace.

Don't let a clock tell you when to change water...let your test dictate how often and how large of a water change you need to do in order to keep the toxins as low as possible.

Remember that fish food is another major source of ammonia if it is left in the tank. Be sure to feed very sparingly during this time. Do your best to not leave any uneaten food on the substrate. Fish need much less food than most people realize. I normally only feed my fish 4-5 days of the week and only in small amounts.

For now, it's okay...always try to keep it at or below .25 at all times IMO, but it'll take some time for the ammonia to start building up and really becoming a challenge. Doing the daily water changes is your fishes saving grace.

Don't let a clock tell you when to change water...let your test dictate how often and how large of a water change you need to do in order to keep the toxins as low as possible.

Remember that fish food is another major source of ammonia if it is left in the tank. Be sure to feed very sparingly during this time. Do your best to not leave any uneaten food on the substrate. Fish need much less food than most people realize. I normally only feed my fish 4-5 days of the week and only in small amounts.

I have an under gravel filter but the actual filtering part is broken. If I were to get that replaced and running, would it help with the left over food that might build up? I generally only feed them once a day as it is.

One other off topic question, I put an Algae Wafer in the tank for the CAE the other day when it was in the tank, and my GF ate it like it was candy. Is that bad? They really seemed to like it.

Back
Top Bottom