New Aquarium Owner

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The best thing you can do is ask everywhere for established media. Any type of filter pad, or even gravel or decorations can be a bog help by introducing the beneficial bacteria you want. It's all in that guide they linked you earlier ;)

The best thing you can do is ask everywhere for established media. Any type of filter pad, or even gravel or decorations can be a bog help by introducing the beneficial bacteria you want. It's all in that guide they linked you earlier ;)

I have the bio bag that was in the filter to the 20G aquarium when it was given to me. Its completely dried out tho but was ran in the tank for over a year. I assume thats probably unuseable since its dried out?

eco23 said:
Thing is...sometimes it can hurt to try. Not always, but there's plenty of members who can tell you about crashed bio-filters traced back to "instant cycling" products which contain the wrong type of bacteria.

The articles will explain it...but briefly, the wrong type of bacteria can perform nitrification and make a tank appear cycled, but the substitute bacteria is very short lived and needs to be re-added constantly. Problem is that it can outcompete the real bacteria you want in there so it may never fully develop like you want. Then, if the other bacteria were to die off...you're left with a tank which doesn't have an efficient bio-filter because the true beneficial bacteria never had a chance to colonize because it was outcompeted with the substitute stuff. There's plenty of people who can tell you about their tank appearing cycled, just to test one day and have massive toxin spikes come out of nowhere for that very reason.

Hi and welcome. I didnt have a good experience with the bottled stuff and I used all of them. Good luck and youre in good hands here.

ccross said:
I have the bio bag that was in the filter to the 20G aquarium when it was given to me. Its completely dried out tho but was ran in the tank for over a year. I assume thats probably unuseable since its dried out?

Unfortunately yes. Dry bacteria = dead bacteria. If you manage to find some just make sure it is from a healthy tank. Any type of diseases, parasites, etc...can potentially be transmitted to your tank. It really is a risk vs. reward issue. Wal-mart could offer me every piece of media in the store and I'd tell them no.

Unfortunately yes. Dry bacteria = dead bacteria. If you manage to find some just make sure it is from a healthy tank. Any type of diseases, parasites, etc...can potentially be transmitted to your tank. It really is a risk vs. reward issue. Wal-mart could offer me every piece of media in the store and I'd tell them no.

Unfortunately the closest person I know with a well established tank is about 2 hours from me, lol.

Guess I have to do it the hard way.

I've been doing 25% water changes for the last 3 days and so far my GF seem happy and lively. The water stays crystal clear, no more cloudiness. i admit, I havent had the cash to get a proper water test kit yet but I hope too soon. Here is a photo of the tank so far :)

img_1500936_0_df878f974f9fb91900b8fa365b6020e2.jpg

Went to Pet Depot to get the Water test kit and they didnt have it in stock. I grabbed a $12 API test kit instead. Is this one going to work ok for me?

img_1501517_0_bed242372b5da1d7ffafd744b61d3529.jpg

ccross said:
Went to Pet Depot to get the Water test kit and they didnt have it in stock. I grabbed a $12 API test kit instead. Is this one going to work ok for me?

That's the perfect one :). However, getting the same brand of nitrIte and nitrAte test kit will soon be equally as important a bit further into your cycle.

That's the perfect one :). However, getting the same brand of nitrIte and nitrAte test kit will soon be equally as important a bit further into your cycle.

This one says it does Nitrite and Nitrate and Ammonia. The only thing it doesn't do is pH.

ccross said:
This one says it does Nitrite and Nitrate and Ammonia. The only thing it doesn't do is pH.

Do you have other boxes? That one is just the ammonia kit. It's what I buy for refills for testing ammo.

Ugh. The idiot at Pet Depot told me this would do all but pH.

Welcome to AA.. Don't feel bad... Almost everyone has had a GF in a bowl or 10g at some point. I got GF for my 10gs. I now have 3 fancy goldfish in a 55g and they are amazing fish! I love them ;)

prime will help u with ammonia. It's a little more pricy but worth it. Ur GF look tiny still so I think u can do it ( cycling) with lots of work and patiences :) good luck :)) keep up with daily water changes ...

ccross said:
Ugh. The idiot at Pet Depot told me this would do all but pH.

You're having a hard time learning the people there don't really know what they're talking about, haha! If you've already spent $12, you might as well return it and get the master kit which tests ammonia, nitrIte (no2), nitrAte (no3), pH and high range pH.

*Good call Flossie. Definitely pick up some Seachem Prime while you're there.

Back
Top Bottom