New Betta

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

redsea

Aquarium Advice Addict
Here he is. A double tail half-moon. I don't have any decor yet!

Attachments

• image-3813489804.jpg
    image-3813489804.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 58
He's very handsome. What's he in, a vase?

Right now, yes. I was thinking about moving him to my 20 Gallon. Do you think he would be ok with 2 platys, three tetras, and two corys? Thanks!

Last edited:
You're asking the wrong person. It's my personal opinion that bettas (both male and female) do best with no tankmates. Others may offer opinions as to what may have worked for them.

Oh ok, but I heard if you keep them in a vase or bowl, their fins will shorten. Have you heard this?

redsea said:
Oh ok, but I heard if you keep them in a vase or bowl, their fins will shorten. Have you heard this?

That's true! If the water parameters ain't right, Betta's fun will shorten regardless where its housed. High ammonia will cause fin rot as a result shorten fin.

They need a filter and heater. And again, my opinion, but it shouldn't be housed in anything less than a 5 gallon.

They need a filter and heater. And again, my opinion, but it shouldn't be housed in anything less than a 5 gallon.
your right. they should be treated like any other tropical fish.

IMO,your betta should be fine depending species of tetra and the bettas temperament.you should up the tetra school to six and the cory school to 4. your betta looks a lot like my new male

Would put in minimum of a 10 gallon. I had a little guy that was in a 3.5 (filtered) and got ick.. he now resides in a 10 gallon with a better filter and heater. He has been clear of ick for about a week or so now and is much more active. He lives by himself at the moment, but he lived in a tropical tank for a while before I got him a tank. He did very well with all of the other species.

--Edit--

They are almost blind, so any fancy tailed fish that he would confuse with another Betta is going to be in trouble. Just keep that in mind, if it's a fancy looking fish, keep them away from a Betta. If it's a $2 fish and you don't mind losing one, then you could try it. Just pray for the poor little $2 fish.

Back
Top Bottom