New Brackish Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

**SaltyDog**

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi all, i am looking for a little advice.
I am starting a new 75 gallon brackish setup (1.010-1.015) and have been debating a few things before i start that i hope i can get some advice on.
First, i plan on using some sort of crushed coral or sand substrate and am wondering what would be best for overall buffering and ease of maintenance?
Second, I have heard many people talk about using U.G. filters in their salt setups and have wondered if it would be a good thing to get into now in case i decide to go salt later, how would that work with sand?
Third, should i use a skimmer in my setup?

I am running an Ehiem cannister 2217 (filter circulation 790 l/h)
Thanks in advance

**SaltyDog** said:
Hi all, i am looking for a little advice.
I am starting a new 75 gallon brackish setup (1.010-1.015) and have been debating a few things before i start that i hope i can get some advice on.
First, i plan on using some sort of crushed coral or sand substrate and am wondering what would be best for overall buffering and ease of maintenance?

Likely sand, but both would work.

Second, I have heard many people talk about using U.G. filters in their salt setups and have wondered if it would be a good thing to get into now in case i decide to go salt later, how would that work with sand?

It won't.

Third, should i use a skimmer in my setup?

You can, but it isn't usually a necessity.

Thanks for the response.
I take it that the differences between sand and coral are more personal taste then?
I guess i am just looking for the ultimate look and functionality for this new tank.
What would you all do if you weren't worried about the money and wanted to set up the ultimate 75 gal brackish setup. ie fish, supplies, substrate, everything!
Then maybe i can find my budget and style in there somewhere.
Thanks

Back
Top Bottom