New filter question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DazF

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey guys, me again!

I am thinking about changing the filter (currently tetra ex1200) in my 150L community tank.
Reasons are mainly because it takes up space and it keeps getting air stuck in there every time i do a WC, this takes about an hour to get sorted and is makings my WC a chore!

Anyway i was thinking of going for an internal filter, maybe the fluval u4?

Whats your opinions on this and whats the best way to do it if i do?
How long should i run the established filter along with the new one?

Thanks guys

I had a U4 with my 200l but didn't like the look of a big black box in the corner so switched it out to an eheim2217 which gives much better filtration for my tank size. I never had any issues with the U4. the flow control and Venturi was useful. Personally is say go external but if thats out the question then the U4 is a great choice.

As for running two filters to seed, no need, take all the media out the old one and if you can, put it in the new one then no need to cycle it. Just cut up any sponges and put them in the U4 cartridges and swop any bio media (not familiar with your current filter sorry).

Hope that helps. Lighty

Make sure there are no downward loops at the outlet pipe from filter.

Tip filter or lean it a bit when you start it up, lean it so the outlet is uppermost so air can escape. I do this with my old pair of Fluval 205s. No problem. If it is, give it a little tap. Job done.

See how you get on.

Thanks guys, there are no loops at all... And its more than a light kick! I literally have to shake it around aggressively on and off for around an hour haha

Ahh decisions decisions

Back
Top Bottom