New here with questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishykim

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello, my girls won 6 goldfish at the fair..... I had a 10g tank. Five died, we thought the other was lonely, so we bought lots of fish. They started dying, so I started researching what could be wrong. I now know about cycling a tank. Too late for all the fish, though. After researching, I purchased everything I needed and began cycling the tank. I bought a heater and cleaned the gravel with the little vacuum the best l could. There was still some food left in the rocks, though. It's probably been 7 weeks that the tank has been set up and running. Four days ago, I added the ammonia and the test shows the 4ppm is back to 0 the next day. I tested for nitrites but it was, also, 0. Well, today I decided to check for nitrates and it showed 80 ppm. I missed the nitrites somewhere!! I don't understand the instructions that stated the cycle would be 4 ppm one day and 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, 0 nitrates in 24 hrs. But then it says that the only way to reduce the nitrates is by PWC. Has my tank completely cycled?? If so, I know I have to do a 90% water change, turn the heat down and keep the bacteria fed before I purchase fish. Another question is, what type of cycling would I have to do to a new tank since I want to purchase a 20g long instead of the 10g I am now cycling??? Thanks in advance for any advise I may get!!

Hello and welcome to AA! Congrats on the first fish tank, and I'm very impressed that you took the time to research and do things properly when it comes to cycling. I think you'll do quite well in this hobby!

Your tank sounds like it has completely cycled! Don't worry about the nitrites. You're not the first person to have the nitrite step fly by without you noticing- it's odd but it happens. If you have 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite and 80 nitrate it means that all of your ammonia has been converted to nitrate- so your tank is cycled. I would do a big water change to bring the nitrate back down to around 10ppm and then you're ready for fish.

To cycle a new tank, you can just do the same thing you did with this one. You can also try taking a piece of your filter media and putting it into the filter on the new tank to jumpstart the bacteria growth.

What's your stocking plan for these tanks? :)

What sini said!
Your tank is cycled.
Goldfish are too big for a 10 or 20 IMO(I am not alone).
They also don't need /want heat.
Look for fish that will do well in your tank size and you will enjoy!
You can always start another thread asking what to stock your tank with and many will chime in!
Welcome to AA!

I know that about the goldfish. That's just all I had at home!! I didn't have the heater then, either!! And when I bought fish, I didn't buy goldfish!! But I was extremely clueless!!!

I know that about the goldfish. That's just all I had at home!! I didn't have the heater then, either!! And when I bought fish, I didn't buy goldfish!! But I was extremely clueless!!!

You can go with the goldfish and do a cold water tank. If you choose to have a good size tank (55g) dojo loaches are my favorite and are hilarious cold water fish. They are active 24/7 always playing around. They would play will with the Goldie's.

My adult and juvie:
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1435906220.649061.jpg

Caleb

I think from what I understood the goldfish are all gone now.

Fish i recommend for 10 gallons are kuhli loaches and bettas. Although people think of bettas as "bowl" fish, they actually need more space and they also prefer a tropical tank. If you try one in your new 10 gallon you'll see a very different side of them.

Hi
I wanted to make an announcement to members of this meetup- I have 2 goldfish (I may have 2 more if the other owners want to give them up too. They are the kind you can get at carnival fairs). We bought them but realized that they are like all other pets that require time and care. I'd like them to be adopted to someone who can give them a huge tank and a good life. Do you know anyone interested in nyc? Thanks

Back
Top Bottom