New member looking for tips

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yeah I ordered my filter from bigalsonline.com this morning. It's the Emperor 280 that petco has for $37, Big Al has the Emperor 400 for the same price.

I checked a dozen or so online retailers and couldnt find anyone who beat bigalsonline.com's prices, he's even cheaper than walmart on the handful of stuff they carry.

Hi everyone, it's Chevy_Cowboy's wife. I figured now that we're getting serious about the aquarium, I ought to get read up on this stuff too. I had a 6 gal hex tank when I was a kid and have had neons and goldfish and guppies. My best friend had a 20 long and he had all sorts of fw fish, but I never really messed around with it, just watched them. I wasn't so interested :| in fish at first but with all the stuff C_C is getting and looking at all the fish in the stores I'm getting more excited :D about them now.

Welcome Chevy_Cowboy's wife! :wave: This hobby is a lot of fun and AA is a wonderful forum for advice and making new friends. Maybe you'd consider getting your own login for AA and join the group.(edited duh you all ready have a account) What kind of fish are you considering for your new tank?

Thanks for the warm welcome tmurphy :D

Well we've already decided on a pleco or two, those will probably be the first to go in. We're also considering a few small schools of tetras; I like neons and penguins and he likes lemons and cardinals so we'll probably end up with a combination of those, too. That's about as far as we've gotten as of yet. As he said before, we just got a 29 gal and we're in the process of refurbishing his old 10 gal for a QT. We're both getting quite anxious to get started.

Are you planning on doing a "fishless cycle"? I would recommend it as opposed to cycleing with fish as I just went though. A fishless cycle will elimate the worry and concern about your pals health during the process. If you need advice on a fishless cycle just ask! Lots of forum members have gone though the process.

Hi Cowboy!
I too am relearning the art of FWA! I put together my tank for 20.00, and so far so good! I have a 10gal tank also.
I have 4 red claw crabs, 4 stripe tetras, 6 ghost shrimp (one with babies) and 2 apple snails. So far they all are loving thier new home, and all are getting along very nicely. I bought them at Petsmart. My kids love the crabs and shrimp. This is my first time with the shrimp, and my 2nd attempt with the crabs.
I learned (after the deaths of the first 8 crabs) that they do not pair well with goldfish, because of they like the warmer waters.......the shrimp were only 30 cents a peice, so if you have small fish, I would suggest getting about 10 shrimp......they are really fun to have in the tank! HAVE FUN!!
Aundrea
:BIG:

Back
Top Bottom