new plants! tank in progress and ID confirmation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

paytertot

Aquarium Advice Addict
I just got a bunch of plants for my tank today. Here's a pic. I'm gunna take some pics of a few that I'm not sure were labled right in just a minute.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20120711_184111.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120711_184111.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 107
I see lace fern on top of the dw some talenthera and willow hygro on the right, hornwort in the back. On the left a melon sword not sure on the species of crypts.

The fern I was sure of. The stuff in the back was labled red ludwigia, I figured that was wrong. The bigger green plant on the right is actually a terrarium plant. Oops. And there should only be one crypt :s there is a baby amazon sword in the middle next to what I thought was the only crypt. The sword on the left is an ozelot and next to that I think is some kind of val.
Disagree with any of that? Cuz I'm still learning.
Would you mind looking at some closer pictures if I took them?

Sorry it took so long, I had to do water changes and run to the store. But here's some close-ups.

This one was labled blue hygro which I've never heard of
ForumRunner_20120711_222941.jpg

This one just said red potted hygro
ForumRunner_20120711_223048.jpg

I don't remember what they had this one labled as
ForumRunner_20120711_223150.jpg

This is the one that said red ludwigia
ForumRunner_20120711_223237.jpg

I guess this is some kind of val
ForumRunner_20120711_223328.jpg

Also the tank they're in has really low lighting (28 watts of t5 daylight bulbs, one 10000k and one 6700k) so will these plants be ok in here or will some of them need higher light? I'm trying to figure out a way to boost my lighting without buying a whole new fixture. If you have any ideas let me know.

You should be able to just buy the stronger bulbs?? And your driftwood is awsome!! Where did you find this???

I'll give it a crack.

Blue hygro is most likely hygrophila corymbosa, but the leaves look a little narrow. You might keep an eye on that one.

Red hygro is one of the many common names for Alternanthera Reineckii. This is also one of the reasons I don't like to operate in with common names with a few exceptions.

Your unknown looks like a Crypt. wendtii, although which variety (green, bronze, etc) may not be clear for a bit while it transitions.

Red ludwigia looks like hornwort to me. Either your LFS completely dropped the ball on that one, or someone grabbed the wrong plant.

Your 'val' is by far the most interesting plant. Honestly, it looks to me more like a species of aponogeton or crypt than valisineria based on how the leaves have defined stalks. Cryptocoryne retrospiralis is my best guess.

hcourts said:
You should be able to just buy the stronger bulbs?? And your driftwood is awsome!! Where did you find this???

The bulbs that are in the fixture are the best I could get. And the dw is fake, its from petsmart lol but thanks

Well thanks but like I said, I don't really want to buy a new fixture right now lol I'm just looking for a way to boost what I've got somehow

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom