New plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Today I bought 2 new plants from petco,

X2 Umbrella plant
Can anyone tell me about this plant?
X1 lucky bamboo
Can this be in my aquarium?

The lucky bamboo just needs to be sticking above the surface a bit. The umbrella plant I'm pretty sure is not fully aquatic either. Does it have a species name?

Spathiphyllum Wallisii (umbrella plant)
Can you tell me more?

Can the bamboo be all the way submerged and live until it gets tall enough?
If not it can go to my moms betta BOWL!(she won't listen to me;(....

S.wallisii is a peace lily, yes, just like the ones they sell in baskets at home depot.

You can keep the bamboo submerged but it may rot, it may not. You can also rig up some kind of ledge to set it on either with a piece of glass/plexi siliconed in place, some kind of suction cup rig, or a dip n pour with holes drilled it in and place on the inside lip of the tank.

S.wallisii is a peace lily, yes, just like the ones they sell in baskets at home depot.

You can keep the bamboo submerged but it may rot, it may not. You can also rig up some kind of ledge to set it on either with a piece of glass/plexi siliconed in place, some kind of suction cup rig, or a dip n pour with holes drilled it in and place on the inside lip of the tank.

Ill move the bamboo,
So can S.wallisii be all submerged?

I really wish petco would just clearly mark thier tanks. Although, now that I say that. Most of the people that work there probably don't have the
training to advise customers of the difference.

I'm no expert! Just started into planted tanks a few months ago but knowing they sell both bog and fully aquatic planets with little or no distinction. Plus being armed with the AA app on the phone. If I see a plant that even remotely looks like something I'v seen in pot or if any part of the plant is stick firmly above the waterline. I avoid it. So far it's worked well.

Sorry you were duped. That's a bumper.

They are labeled "aquatic plants"!

Ahhhhghgggh!!!!!!!!!
Ill take my chances with the umbrella plant I guess...

They are labeled "aquatic plants"!

Ahhhhghgggh!!!!!!!!!
Ill take my chances with the umbrella plant I guess...

That's the kicker! They know their own staff doesnt have the know how to explain the difference between semi and fully aquatic. So to keep from losing a possible sale. They just lump them together.

They do good in terrarium or they can be planted where their roots are in a soggy location but with most of the plant above water. They also do great as planted house plants that like to be kept slightly moist.

The store will return them. Peace lily will work sticking out of the tank in the back like a Betta vase/ roots in the water. Will work and will help filter the water, like a bog plant in nature, fish waste will help fertilize it.

If you see plants you like there you need to write the names down and research them to be sure they are aquatics. Actual aquatic plants I've seen in those tubes are Swords, Crypts, Java Fern Wendilov, Bacopa, Ludwigia, Rotala, and wisteria.

Back
Top Bottom