New Platy's and Ghost Shrimp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jaysono

Aquarium Advice Activist
Late Saturday I was able to finally convince my wife to go to the LFS with me (she's never been there yet), and of course now wants me to get a Marine tank 'cause the fish are "prettier" :?

So, wanting to add a little color to my tank, we purchased 3 Red Wagtail Platy's. 2 males and 1 (look pregnant) female. Well, they all appeared strong and healthy, but alas, just 10 hours later I lost one male. Maybe the stress was just too much...Unsure. But the two remaining ones are timid like my last fish were and I assume it will be anotehr day or two before they come out of the rear corner and show themselves.

I also was able two acquire 2 small Ghost Shrimp. One is about 1/2", the other about 3/4". They are very fun to watch. The smaller one I just sat and watched for a half hour straight climbing up and down my plastic plants.

The only downside to having them is they spent the majority of the day yesterday inside a dark cave like decoration I have whereas I wasn't sure where they were most of the day. They did both come out eventually and crawled around a bit, but back they went. Hopefully I'll get to spy thema bit more this evening.

BTW: Anyone know if platy's do better with more than just a pair? I may try some Sunset platy's to get that yellow color in my tank as well. Will they hang with the Red Wagtails?

2 male and 1 female platy is NOT a good combination. If you want mixed gender, get more males than females. The male platy can get pretty aggressive towars other male platy if there's not enough female. even 1 male and 1 female isnt good enough. The female can be stressful if the male is always active.
I suggest having 1 male and 2 - 3 females, or all males, or all females.

IMO Platies dont school much, but they get along with different colors, as long as you stick to the 1m : 3f gender rule

When buying live bearing fish you should visual inspect the fish for any bacterial infections. Live bearings are prone to bacterial infections. Ask the LFS in which you bought the Wag from to replace him.
As for the hiding it will take them a few days to get acustomed tot he new surrondings.
As for the ghost shrimp, they are mostly feeders for larger fish. So don't expect them to be around along time.

If you want mixed gender, get more males than females.
I think blackpearl meant "get more females than males"... I have platys also....I would suggest buying another female and just stick with one male...do be prepared for fry! (although with your tank size, you don't have room for lots of fry....if you want to save them, you'll need another tank to separate them from the others so they don't get munched).

As for the ghost shrimp, they are mostly feeders for larger fish. So don't expect them to be around along time.

Well, I'm too worried there. My biggest fish is my Dwarf Gourmi at a whole 1.5". All ther other are an inch, and the shrimp have already found hiding places the fish don't go to.

Thanks for the advice on the female/male ratio. I'll be sure to get females next time around. Too bad LFS didn't tell me this.

Maybe I'll get some Indian Glass fish next time around, with female Sunset Platy's

Back
Top Bottom