New SA/CA Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well glad to see my tank has maintained its cycle through the move. 40ppm of nitrate....I was planning on doing a 50% pwc Saturday. Should I do it sooner?

Yah, wanna stay below 20

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

So I just did a 55 to 60% pwc and this is what I got now........I'm baffled.

Attachments

• 20170202_183451.jpg
    20170202_183451.jpg
    226.3 KB · Views: 46
Where do you live? Your source water has nitrates??

Where do you live? Your source water has nitrates??

Ny.....just moved to my new town a year ago and that was my first thought......SO, before I rushed to do a pwc I tested my tap.......0ppm or just about. I am completely at a loss.....those two tests look almost identical to my eyes and I'm testing just as instructed by the directions.

You've tested your tap recently? How old is the test kit? Did you shake the absolute bleep out it first and during?

You've tested your tap recently? How old is the test kit? Did you shake the absolute bleep out it first and during?

4 years old yes and yes. I tested the tap. Right after you said wc......I thought man, its been 5 days with 13" of fish in a 90 not getting over fed.....somthing seemed off. All my filters are clean as well.

Shaken the test bottles like they stole something and than some more. Try again.. if you havnt been in the past than they're junk.and you need new ones

Shaken the test bottles like they stole something and than some more. Try again.. if you havnt been in the past than they're junk.and you need new ones

Nope I've been shasking then like crazy....for a minute just like they tell you too. And why would my tank keep showing nitrates and my tap be 0 or close to it?

Your tank was that high?? I don't know??you using a mature cannister filter?

Canister has all new filter material BUT all my old bio media in the baskets......not much, bag of ceramic beads......fluval stars.....that's about it. It's the same canister I used for my mbuna.....cleaned out of coarse. I'm letting it go tonight and testing again tomorrow. If I get the same results I'll go get another kit........it's going to drive me nuts because at 55-60% it should have came down a bit. Is there any media worth putting in my filters to reduce nitrates?

First let's rule out the test kit being good/bad. I really can't see that much waste being produced already. When they're grown this is what you'll be up against for sure. If it comes down to it??pleco is a major poo machine. I'd personally never keep a pleco with an Oscar, maybe a big bristle nose but nothing else. They really do need pristine water to thrive. Plecos just foul water imo. Anyways... you can look into seachem de-nitrate in unison with purigen.

So this morning I tested again with the same results.....then I put about 2ml of tank water in the tube and 3ml of tap and got this slightly lighter rendition........I am going to buy a new kit(kit I'm using lot number says 08/11) in a few hours so hopefully later I have better results posted. If not I'll be doing another 50% followed by a 50% Saturday morning and see where I'm at........I've just never had this much trouble before AND the pleco was parthe of my Mbuna tank.

Attachments

• 20170203_084651.jpg
    20170203_084651.jpg
    203.8 KB · Views: 29
Your other pic didn't show up. That looks closer to 10ppm to me.

Your other pic didn't show up. That looks closer to 10ppm to me.

Well, it wasn't the kit......atleast I know that for a fact now. Time to roll up my sleeves and do another large water change and PRAY it bring it down.

Attachments

• 20170203_135953.jpg
    20170203_135953.jpg
    182.4 KB · Views: 34
How did it increase that much in a few hours?!?!

That 10ppm is mixed 2ml to 3ml tank to tap......I was messing around to see if I could get different results.........hopefully this pwc gets it to atleast 20........or else I'm going to loose my mind.......my 3 fish are only 4" long a piece!!!! And I'm not overfeeding. I only put in what they eat in front of me.

Back
Top Bottom