New Sand Tank Cleaning?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jeeves

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Any thoughts as to water changes and siphoning vacuums? Tank looks very clean. All numbers at 0 except ph at 7.2. Currently holding 3 emerald cories and 2 ghost shrimp. Check filter every day. Water is clear. All advice appreciated!

Any thoughts as to water changes and siphoning vacuums? Tank looks very clean. All numbers at 0 except ph at 7.2. Currently holding 3 emerald cories and 2 ghost shrimp. Check filter every day. Water is clear. All advice appreciated!
Is your Nitrates 0. This is very unusual. There is no need to check the filter every day. 30-50% water changes a week is fine. When doing the Vac, split the tank into sections. So one week, vac one quarter of the tank, next week, vac another quarter etc etc....

Yes, all are 0! I think that's weird, too.

It's not planted and I've only had the tank for seven days. Thoughts?

You don't have nitrates because your tank isn't mature yet

First you will get ammonia then that will turn to nitrite then the final stage nitrate

Once you have only nitrate its same to add fish

You need to read up on how to cycle a tank before getting any fish. Or do a fish in cycle. There are instructions on here. Just check out the articles section.

As for cleaning a sand substrate, I started out with the usual syphon type vacuum. It works okay. I had better luck with the smaller diameter tubing ones. Somewhere in between the normal air line tubing and half inch diameter tubing. The larger tubing sucked up too much sand. I know use one of those battery vacuums. It has a bag that the stuff you suction out goes into. It does suck up some sand. I just empty the bag into a bucket and rinse the sand that was picked up until clean, drain it and dump the sand back into the tank. The battery one makes it easy to clean up between water changes. You can also use it to syphon water out of and into the tank. This link shows the one like I bought. I got it cheaper though through another vendors. Amazon.com: Vktech Aquarium Cleaner Fish Tank Vacuum Gravel Filter Cleaner: Pet Supplies

You need to read up on how to cycle a tank before getting any fish. Or do a fish in cycle. There are instructions on here. Just check out the articles section.

As for cleaning a sand substrate, I started out with the usual syphon type vacuum. It works okay. I had better luck with the smaller diameter tubing ones. Somewhere in between the normal air line tubing and half inch diameter tubing. The larger tubing sucked up too much sand. I know use one of those battery vacuums. It has a bag that the stuff you suction out goes into. It does suck up some sand. I just empty the bag into a bucket and rinse the sand that was picked up until clean, drain it and dump the sand back into the tank. The battery one makes it easy to clean up between water changes. You can also use it to syphon water out of and into the tank. This link shows the one like I bought. I got it cheaper though through another vendors. Amazon.com: Vktech Aquarium Cleaner Fish Tank Vacuum Gravel Filter Cleaner: Pet Supplies
Are they any good. I was thinking of getting one. Do the batteries last long. If using it to syphon out water, once you get the syphon started can you switch off the power to save batteries?????

The first one I order I got from Drfostersandsmith.com, It didn't last very long and the plastic kept breaking and the on/off button stopped working. I would have to twist the end off to get it to stop. I order this one this time Amazon.com: S9D Aquarium Fish Tank Vacuum Syphon Auto Gravel Water Filter Cleaner Washer New: Pet Supplies. So far the only problem I have had with this one is that the tubes that are supposed to slide inside each other to shorten or lengthen the suction tube stuck after the first use. They wouldn't slide anymore. I just left it as it was and it works fine. I improvised a shorter one for my 10g tank. After you start the suction you can turn off the power and it still keeps the water flowing. The batteries have lasted 2 weeks so far. I will update when they go dead. This one was easier to clean also. For shallower tanks I just removed the suction tube and used it without it. Worked fine. The tubing that came with it to use instead of the little catch all bag, was short. You have to have the bucket close to the tank.

Thanks! I hope my cories survive the cycling!

Back
Top Bottom