New setup - Tank cycle log - 1 month update

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So what do you guys think? Another PWC tonight and a 1ppm dose?

FISH TOMORROW!!!
Seems odd. Even my wife said "It's going to be wierd to actually have fish in there after a month of it being empty"

I'll be finalizing my stock list today/tonight, then hoping to find at least most of it tomorrow. I'm heading out to Scales, which is an hour away, to check it out. It's a brand new store claiming "Finally, the DC Metro Area has its Own Aquarium Superstore!". In the regional forum there's been some interest in this new store, but noone from the board here seems to have been yet.

My plan is to take my list to the LFS, confirm what they have in stock, then head out. Pick up whatever is on my list and not available at the LFS, bring them home, acclimate, then get whatever is available at the LFS later the same day.

Hopefully I'll feel good enough about the driftwood to put that in tonight or first thing in the morning. Not really expecting that however. I assume if I don't put it in, I'll put one of the fake pieces back in to provide some cover.

Here's what I'm thinking will be easily obtained towards my stock list tomorrow:
6 rummynose tetras
3 Boesemani Rainbows
3 otos
4 cory cats (species TBD)

I'll also get the pleco if they have the one I want (which I doubt)
Gypsy King Tiger L-66

I think that list saves me room later for 2 GBRs, which I hope to get in a bit. I hear they're sensitive, so I'll wait a month or two and ensure I'm happy with how the tanks doing before I get them.

My tank temp was down to 83 this morning, I set it down another notch on the heater, which I expect to bring it to 80. Then tonight I'll get it down into the 77-78 range where I want it.

Alright, let me summarize my questions
1) PWC tonight yes or no? NO3 last night was in the 20-25 range
2) Okay to dose 1ppm ammonia tonight? that's half of my dosing I've been doing
3) Anything else I need to do to prep tank before fish that I'm forgetting
4) Stock list and plan look okay?
5) Who wants pics?

I'm so excited, and once again want to relay my appreciation to everyone who's helped me.

Just two cents on your stocking plans. Otos often will only eat algae (they're great for diatoms)--mine flat out refuse algae wafers--you may need to be prepared to supplement them if there's not any algae so they don't starve.

Oh...I had to look up your pleco--very cool...and a carnivore so he'd eat the same pellets as the corys. If you find one, I want to know if they're as antisocial as some of the other carnivores like the Queen Arabesque and zebras that I keep eyeing...

Congrats neilan. I am most likely (95% chance) going to check the store out today after shool.

I want pics!!! Me Me!!! lol.
I had that Pleco, L-66. He hid in a cave, and then died. He was in my tank for about 3 weeks. For some reason, I have a hard time keeping plecos in my 55, and it's a very established tank (almost 4 years). I've lost two Silver Sultans (VERY cool!), the tiger, and an emerald within the last 2 years in that tank. So I don't know if it's my tank, or what?? All the other fish in there have been doing great for 2 years. My advice, if it doesn't work out with the tiger, try another species. Out of all the plecos I've had in that tank, he lasted the shortest amount of time. The others lived about 5-6 months.
I'm soooo excited for you! I can't wait to see all the fishies swimmin in there!

FnF - already planning on supplementing the ottos. That way they're on hand when any algae starts to grow (none yet). I hear they love the spiruluna stuff, which should be delivered with all my other foods today from Big Als.

Nick - Awesome, I'm curious to see what list you'll decide on.

Star - Now you've got me worried. That pleco goes for around $50, although liveaquaria had them on sale a few weeks ago for $35. I'd hate to get one only to find out it won't survive. I seriously doubt I'll find one this weekend anyway, but if I do, I have to try.

I'm having a hard time finding slate to weight down my wood. It's lost most of it's buoyancy, so I'm hopeful it'll be okay, but went out at lunch today to pick some up just in case, and maybe enough to make a homemade cave. I can't find it anywhere. I checked at the only local landscaping/nursery place and Lowes, with no success.

fish 'n' fries said:
Oh...I had to look up your pleco--very cool...and a carnivore so he'd eat the same pellets as the corys. If you find one, I want to know if they're as antisocial as some of the other carnivores like the Queen Arabesque and zebras that I keep eyeing...

IME you could add Golden Nuggets to the list of anti-social carni plecos.

If the L-66 acts like my GN, don't expect him to be any use in algae cleanup :p Mine spends most of his time chillin under a stump, then cruises around a lil before lights out, and occasionally chases the cories away from the food he wants. (It's good to be the king! :lol: )

I like the looks of your list, though

What spirulina stuff are you getting? Wardley's spirulina discs is what I tried with mine and they didn't touch them. In fact they acted like I was trying to poison them! Of course others have had different experiences. Hope yours behave and eat them! Mine will eat zucchini so that's how they get supplemented (in case your's take after mine).

What colors are the Boesemani Rainbows that you're getting? Live Aquaria has an awesome yellow and blue one.

I got the O.S.I. Pellets Spirulina to try.

Yup Maroconis, yellow and blue. One of the ones I looked at today was orange and blue too.

New news, I just installed an XP3! Petsmart price matched their online price. The store had it for $179, the online price was $104. I can't believe how quiet it is! I need to get some more stars for it though, I thought it came with some, but I didn't find them.

Water params today look good, temp is down to 79, so I'll just fine tune it a little bit. It feels so cold to me now, I'm used to it being 87!

I think I'm going to PWC tonight too, one last time before fish tomorrow. Driftwood is still TBD, but I did finally find some slate.

Oh, I forgot. Since I prob won't be able to get the pleco I want, the LFS here has 2 spotted raphaels in stock for $7.99. I thinking about it, but I hear they get to 8", so that's probably too much for my tank. Thoughts?

Edit
Did a 80% PWC tonight in prep for tomorrow, decided to go ahead and put the driftwood in and rearrange a little bit.

NEW PICS!!! Naturally I was too excited to wait and get all the micro bubbles cleared from the PWC. Better pics tomorrow with fish!

Attachments

• img_2962_187.jpg
    img_2962_187.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 18
  • img_2958_123.jpg
    img_2958_123.jpg
    133.8 KB · Views: 25
Awesome tank Neilan! I really like that driftwood too, its a perfect fit for that size tank.

Good luck picking up the fish tomorrow, can't wait to hear what you end up with and see some more pictures!

That tank would sure look nice with a blue background though :)

That is one nice looking tank neilan. I really like the driftwood. Everyone on here is making me want to change around some things :)

Marconis said:
That is one nice looking tank neilan. I really like the driftwood. Everyone on here is making me want to change around some things :)

I agree. I'm starting to wonder why I do not have led's on my tank.

The tank looks great!! I can't wait to see the fishies!!! You may have luck with the Tiger L-66. Different things work for different people. And I told you that plecos do not do well in my 55 for some strange reason? I had a gold nugget in my discus tank, and 50% of the time he was out running around during the day with the tank lights on. He was one of the only plecos that was social, besides the Silver Sultan. The raphaels can get huge. I saw one at That Fish Place that was at least a foot long. I've also seen one in my friends tank that has stayed 4 inches for a year?? I would go with a smaller catfish/pleco just to be safe. There's a wide variety of the fancy plecos that grow to about 6 inches and quit. I've had my red-finned lepordinus (gorgeous!!!!!) for about a year and he's still 5 inches. Look into the silver sultans if you can. They are, by far, the coolest plecos I've ever seen. They only get to about 6-7 inches at most, and IMO, that's OK for your tank size. My red-finned lepordinus is in a 29 gal and has been doing great for a year.

Thanks for the compliments guys!

Okay, on to the goods. Today I hit 2 fish stores, and acquired the following fish

4- Peppered Cory Cats
3- Otos
3- Boesemani Rainbows
3- YoYo Loaches

I was hoping to also add the 6 rummynose tetras, but one store didn't have any, and the other only had 1. However, the close store is expecting a shipment on Wednesday, and he promised to set aside 6-8 for me in the back for pickup on Friday.

The 1 store that's an hour away had my pleco I wanted, L-66. But they had it labeled as L-66 Queen Arabesque - I didn't think 66 was the QA, so I wanted to check up on things first. It didn't look like a QA though.

All the fish seem to be doing really well. They're all active, checking the place out and playing in the bubbles and with each other. The rainbows really surprised me. Already they're colors have brightened up really well compared to what they were in the LFS. We picked out 1 male and 2 females. The LFS recommended I get another male, as he said the males will color up better if they have competition for the ladies. He didn't have any more males, so maybe later.

I know, stop your yappin' Neilan and get on with the pics. I am no good at taking pics of moving fish, which you'll see shortly, so bear with me. I didn't sort these yet, or even take out the bad ones, so you're just getting the full load of what I took. I'll get them sorted and weed out the bad ones later and clean up the page for my website. It's hard to take pics of fish, especially the loaches!

Here they Are!

Enjoy! I sure am!

Hey! There are fish in that tank!!!

I thought I saw a SAE in one photo? Not on your list though.

Congrats on the new livestock. Now the fun starts.

Nope, no SAE I'll contribute that to my crappy photography skills.

I ordered all that food from Big Als on Monday or Tuesday. It's not here yet. The tracking number still says "Billing Info Received". I emailed them yesterday, no response. I'm not happy.

Yay! Huge wave of clapping hands here!!!

Get a wide shot of the tank. I want to see what that sweet piece of wood looks like in there.
Everything looks great! Isn't is fun to finally have scales in there?

WTG!

Back
Top Bottom