New SFF betta...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

2cvbloke

Aquarium Advice FINatic
That pet shop, they have too many temptations, and today, I was charmed by another blue Siamese fighter fish, and as my tank was looking empty without a fishy, and as the snails were taking over, I thought I'd buy the lil' fella!!! :D

He's more sociable than my first one, he flares a lot more too, I just hope he lasts longer than the first... :)

At last test, the tank parameters were fine, no off-the-scale colours, it all came back as cycled, so the filter's doing it's job... :)

Just one question, do Bettas not like fastish water flow? He seems to struggle in the water flow which I have going (to try to prevent an "oil slick" of algae on the surface), and he hasn't quite figured out that the plants are a safe haven for him yet. The main reason why I ask, is the cheap filter, although working perfectly, won't slow down even if I lower the outlet to minimum, so to slow it down I have to block the outlet off with sponge or filter wool, but then it clogs up with gunk and ends up stopping, and I still cannot use my Fluval2 as it's in the big tank with the Ichy fish... :(

The plants though, I think they're most definitely terrestrial plants as they are breaking the surface aswell as producing large roots which I can't keep under the gravel annoyingly!!! But I like them... :D

Betta don't like a lot of current. The best thing for them would be a nice little sponge filter with gentle flow.

You might be able to do something about the current of your existing filter. Perhaps you can direct the output to the back, or block it with your plant, drift wood or a rock/decoration? <Someone here made a little shield out of a cut up pop bottle.> All you need is a calm spot in the tank where the betta can rest.

Betta don't like a lot of current. The best thing for them would be a nice little sponge filter with gentle flow.

You might be able to do something about the current of your existing filter. Perhaps you can direct the output to the back, or block it with your plant, drift wood or a rock/decoration? <Someone here made a little shield out of a cut up pop bottle.> All you need is a calm spot in the tank where the betta can rest.

Yeah, I have toned the outlet down using a piece of Fluval3 filter sponge, so it's not as flowy in there now and he's happy exploring his new home... :)

And there's a calm spot in the opposite corner of the filter, so that's where he's been hanging out mostly when not exploring... :)

He's been pecking at some of the really small snails, pulling them off the glass or plants, but then promptly spat them out, daft thing... :lol:

Well, he's certainly settled in, he's very active and interactive, and I think he's got a lot of friends to play with, or at least try to eat then spit out!!! :lol:

I need to top up the water though, with it getting colder here evaporation is practically sucking the water out!!! :drain:

Stoopid SD card and stoopid batteries not lasting more than 5 minutes, finally got some pictures, but some were lost due to a problem with said SD card...:mad:

It took a while to get some pictures of the little fella, mainly cos he moved before the camera could focus on him, or he zipped off just as I pressed the buton, but anyway, here's the best one I got of my 2nd SFF Betta:

Attachments

• Pict0346.jpg
    Pict0346.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 59
He looks beautiful, your tank looks like it has a couple water spots but it's all good, the betta looks great.

Thanks, he's a great fish, very friendly, and just like the first one, he knows when it's feeding time!!! :D

And yes, I do have water spots, the lid is terrible for dribbling condensation over the sides, it's a cheapo vacuum-formed one, not exactly the best, and it's full of holes I have made in it... :rolleyes:

I'd love to build one out of wood, but my skills aren't that good... :(

" "Attached Thumbnails

Wow he really is beautiful

You should have seen the one that was in the tank he used to be in at the pet shop, his tail fin was about 1 & 1/4 inches long!!! Amazing!!! :D

It's funny, I was reading back through my thread on my tank, and I said that Bettas were too frilly for me, but they have grown on me since I saw them gracefully swimming and flaring in the tanks at the pet shop, and now I love 'em!!! :D

Back
Top Bottom