New Tank, 55 to 180

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

alarmguy66

Aquarium Advice Freak
Saturday I pick up my 180 from glasscages.com. I am psyched.

Right now I have a 55 gal, 20 gall sump. 80 lbs lr in my tank, another 20-30 in the sump (base rock). The changeover is gonna be some slow planning followed by a flurry of activity during the move. Gotta stain and varnish the stand and canopy, paint the pback of the tank, prepare the plumbing, etc..etc..

questions, and input

Any of you Virginia people have any argonite sand a body could buy? I have looked from Manassas to Roanoke and Im running out of time to find any.

Right now I have 1 yellow tank, 2 percs, 1 coral beauty, 1 feisty damsel, a scissortail goby, a firefish goby, and a watchman goby. The tank is gonna be 6'x2'x2'. I need some swimmers like the coral beaty and yellow tang, any suggestions?

Im going to add 50 lbs lr from liverocks.com and probably another 20-30 base rock. Ill be somewhere around 180 total, which is a little light I know. Dollar sign wise, Im thinking of adding more base rock to get up to around 250 total. Should I need much more than that?

My 55 is going to turn into my sump, dual returns, one on each end, then a baffle, then a refuge like chamber (dsb and macros), and in the middle a return chamber with dual returns pumps (in case one fails). This is my only other filtration other than my lr and skimmer. Any issue with that?

sounds like a decent plan to me. 250# of LR should be Ok, but let your eye judge. if you want mostly fish, you'll want to leave a little more free space for swimming, if you want an even mix of fish/corals etc then you might want alittle more rock for attaching yoru corals. but that's up to you :)

Im picking up the tank today! Better yet, I get home last night and there is a 55 lb box of base rock sitting on my doorstep! The wife got it for me for Fathers day and never told me about it. Its from ReeferRock and its some pretty kicking rock. Its got more holes in it than OJ's alibi. I fit most of it in my sump, but ran out of room. I guess Im off to the lfs tomorrow to chunk out some serious coin for sand.

Back
Top Bottom