New tank feedback

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bouch097

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm now on day 18 with my 72 gal. bowfront tank. NH3 and NO2 have been stable at 0 for about 5 days now, but I grew a ton of diatoms in the cycling process. I'm guessing because I used tap water for the initial set-up (oops). I added a few fish to make it a little more attractive since NH3 and NO2 are stable, but I haven't added any corals yet (and probably won't until the NO3 stablizes). I did about a 20% water change with RO water and cleaned off the glass some so I could take some pics and get some feedback from you experts. I also slowly put in a cleaning crew (5 turbo snails, 5 hermit crabs, and a Lawnmower Blenny). The Blenny has been going to town like it was Thanksgiving dinner! I love that guy! Anyway, since this is my first tank and I've obviously got a ton to learn, I wanted to get some feedback from ya'll on my current set up. Thanks again for all of your help during my cycling. This is a great site. Here's the pics (If I can figure out how to post them on here).

Looks more like cyano. Did it come off in thin sheets?

Looks ok to me other than the algae growth on the surfaces but thats expected to some degree on a new tank thats cycling.

I'm not sure... I just used a paper towel on the glass and left the rest for the clean up crew to chow on. It was mixed in with a lot of green hair algae.

Here's another pic of the algae... It's got little bubbles on the top if that tells you anything.

Unfortunately, I obviously haven't figured out the best way to take aquarium pics (judging from some of the other pics I've seen on here, other than the miracles of PhotoShop). I think most of those I took with the lights and the flash on. But I had to take them from an angle so the flash wouldn't refect back into the lens too much. Also, I set the lighting setting on the camera to flourescent because it seemed to capture colors better. Once I get it stocked, I'll probably look for some good advice on how to take better pics of my new pets.

I like that large piece of LR/coral skeleton on the left. Lots of nooks and crannies for things to hide in and bacteria to grow on. Make sure you've got good circulation through there, it'll keep junk from festering in there.

Back
Top Bottom