New Tank HEEELLLP!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

( 8 ) eiGhtBaLL

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey people.

I've got a 13gallon tank, and I've just put the water in with the gravel, and I've had the filter running for almost 24 hrs now with the chemicals in it.

What do I need to prepare before putting fish and plants in?

It's freshwater, heated...

Please help!!

If anyone thinks thinks they can help me out alot, please add me to MSN messenger. (the_klowne@hotmail.com) or email me.

Thanks people :)

Eightball...

This is a rather large question, but I'm glad you've asked it! I'm a little confused, since I see that you have posted 30 times... Sorry if any of the info below is obvious...

I'll give you an overview, but you really need to research "cycling a tank" on the internet. This is not difficult to find, and I think you'll see that there are some excellent resources out there.

"Cycling" describes the establishment and progression of the Nitrogen cycle, a cycle which happens in nature as well as in tanks. In the cycle, Ammonia (NH3 or NH4+), a poisonous substance produced in fish waste and by decaying food, is broken down by 1 species of bacteria to Nitrite (NO3). Nitrite, in turn, is broken down by a second species of bacteria into Nitrate (NO2). Nitrate is broken down by a third species of bacteria into gaseous Nitrogen (N2). This gas may now leave the tank.

The three species of bacteria need to be established in your tank. Luckily they exist in small amounts in water, so they will grow in numbers as fish waste builds up. BUT, because they are starting from nought, these bacteria are not populous enough to deal with all the produced ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. As a result, a new tank will have an ammonia spike, during which ammonia levels surge to over 8 ppm (it's poisonous to most fish at levels over 0.5 ppm!). When this ammonia is finally consumed, the level should drop to 0 ppm, and the Nitrite levels should soar to over 8 ppm. These then fall, and the Nitrate levels should even out at around or below 30 ppm. At this point, the bacteria and fish waste is in equilibrium, and fish can live safely in the tank.

Many people say that the full cycle with fish (usually zebra danios) takes about 2 weeks. With larger tanks, this often takes even longer--7 weeks is usually quoted. If you wish not to cycle your tank, you can buy Bio-Spira instead, which you drop into the tank just before you put your fish in. Bio Spira is a combination of the three types of bacteria I mentioned before, and should immediately combat the ammonia/nitrite/nitrate produced by fish. If, however, Bio Spira is placed in the tank, and fish are not, the bacteria will starve, and will quickly die. Why not use Bio-Spira? It's expensive, sensitive and hard to come by. It must be kept frozen so that the bacteria don't die. But it works, and it works fast.

Just so you know, this is what people mean by "biological filtration." In any tank the three types of filtration must exist. Mechanical filtration physically blocks large pieces of waste from re-entering the tank (the sponge), chemical filtration (the carbon) neutralizes several dangerous compounds and biological filtration (bacteria) converts poisonous compounds to harmless ones. It's a fantastic concept, and if you keep tank conditions relatively consistent and steady, the bacteria will thrive in your tank, and the nitrogenous compounds won't increase. Of course, water changes are still important, as they pretty much guarantee that levels of these compounds won't build up too much if the system isn't in perfect equilibrium.

Lack of knowledge about the cycle is the #1 killer of new fish. A poorly established Nitrogen Cycle is the reason for “new tank syndrome” during which all the fish in a tank may die over a period of 2 or 3 weeks. If you didn’t know before and you know now, count yourself lucky!

Sorry if I've misunderstood your question...

I could tell you about plants, too, but I've written a lot already. PM if you want advice on lighting etc.

What kind of fish do you plan for this tank? It is a relatively small one and you have to be careful in your selections. Don't rush it, as patience is one thing you will learn in this hobby (take it from the most impatient person on the planet...)

Madasafish has covered everything else, as usual! :wink:

What type of fish and plants are you looking at keeping? Different species have different requirements and some are much hardier than others.

Do you have a test kit for testing for ammonia, nitrtie, nitrate and pH? Those are good to have on hand during the inital stages of the tank and for diagnosing problems that might come up later.

I'm looking at getting a testing kit today, which I think I really do need :S

What do I do if nitrite, nitrate, pH or ammonia levels go beyond what they should be?

It is good to know the pH of your tank, and that of your tap water, and just be sure that the pH in your tank remains stable. Changing the pH in your tank is not something everyone should be doing, so for right now it is just good to know what you have. As long as it is not changing (which in all likelihood it is not) you are fine with that.

Any appreciable level of ammonia or nitrite means that your tank has not "cycled" and you need to do frequent small water changes to keep those levels diluted, as they are harmful for the fish. Those are very important, and you can do something about that with water changes, so it is crucial to test that every day until your cycle is complete, when ammonia and nitrite will read zero, and nitrate will show something from 10-40ppm. For "most" fish you will do water changes when it approaches 40ppm, and that is how you establish your water changing schedule.

All of this means nothing if you don't have any fish in there, but if you plan on doing a fishy cycle you will need to monitor ammonia and nitrite every day in the beginning, and towards the end of the cycle you will start registering nitrate. It is important what kind of fish you choose to use to do this, as many cannot tolerate the cycling process. I like the fishless cycle, using pure household ammonia to mimic the fishy waste, until the cycle is complete, then you add your fish. You can do this instantly with BioSpira (I am a big fan, read my article :D ) but I think it is good to go through a cycle the fishless way to learn how it works, without worrying about killing any fish in the process.

As usual I have yammered on, but I hope I have helped a little! :wink:

Well, the levels *should* get high while you cycle the tank. If you're doing a fish cycle (zebra danios), you'll want to perform fairly frequent water changes--this will take away some of the ammonia, but will not remove any bacteria, as this sticks to surfaces.

Back
Top Bottom