New tank missing something

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lanceuppercut

Aquarium Advice Regular
I recently found a deal I couldn't resist for a new 75 gal tank and fluval 405.

I currently have it stocked with a pair of juruparis, a red-spot gold severum, a school of six julli corries and a couple rhombo barbs (I wanted a SA biotope, but the girlfriend wouldn't say no to the barbs).

The fish are all great, but it seems like it's still missing something and I can't think of anything that would work well in there. Any suggestions?

Attachments

• P8290057.jpg
    P8290057.jpg
    245.1 KB · Views: 70
  • P8290061.jpg
    P8290061.jpg
    191.6 KB · Views: 61
  • P8290058.jpg
    P8290058.jpg
    235.4 KB · Views: 63
  • P8290056.jpg
    P8290056.jpg
    242.3 KB · Views: 63
I would prefer no back drop, as you can see it from both sides, it sits behind a couch that divides my "living room" area and "dining room" area. Plants are also not a good option as the severum will tear them up, and the juruparis are earth eaters and move the sand around quite a bit.

I'll attach a whole tank shot in a little bit when the camera battery gets some juice

You can correct me if I'm wrong, but it looks as if this is positioned to be viewable from both sides. The picture taking side and the opposite room with the couch in it. Unless... the back of the tank is mirrored and I'm looking at a reflection and not a room behind the tank.

What I see missing it the shipping label to have it sent to me!

More serious, maybe some color. The slate and wood look good. Maybe a few plants, or using the wood as a center piece and dividing the slate pieces to make a couple grotto's on either side the wood? Although... interior design may not be my forte'...

It looks like you have the tank set up as a room divider, but if it's not definitely go for a basic blue or black background.

Otherwise try tossing a plant in and see how it goes? Maybe a Java Fern tied onto the driftwood? That way you don't have to worry about digging.

Looks great though even if you just keep it as is!

@ Dale: Yes, that is exactly what's going on in this situation.

Plants are probably not an option because of the fish in there, and I'm a bit wary of the fake plants. Maybe if I found some extra real looking ones. I'm all about the natural looking tanks, And I think that a fake plant could draw your eye, and break the feel of the tank.

Moving the drift wood to the center may be a pretty good idea, and it might serve a double purpose of looking good and breaking up the territories of the jurupari. most of the time they get along great, but then the big one decides he has had enough and chases the other one around for a while.
any smaller SA fish that would add a dash of color in and also be compatible with current stocking?

Here is the best I can do with a full tank shot. I don't have camera skills

Attachments

• P8290056.jpg
    P8290056.jpg
    185.5 KB · Views: 58
  • P8290060.jpg
    P8290060.jpg
    183.1 KB · Views: 60
  • P8290059.jpg
    P8290059.jpg
    187.6 KB · Views: 58
Back