new tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fish_fanatic

Aquarium Advice Activist
Well im about to buy a new tank in a few days (a small one, only 2-5 gallons) because i want to try a planted tank before i even think of putting plants in my other tanks. Now my question is, what substrate should i use Sand, Gravel?? Also what plats are good for begginers? The only fish that will be going in this tank is either a few neons or a few rummy nose tetras.

Thanks

For your substrate I recommend Eco-Complete. I have it in my 90gal and couldn't be happier with it.

As far as plants go we'll need a little more info, like how many watts are you running?

Jeff

If I get the 2 gallon it will be 15 watts incandesent light. If I get the 5 gallon it can be 30 watts incandesent. (thoes are the max ammount of watts for each canopy)

And you will be very disappointed with either tank. Note that when we talk watts per gallon we are talking florescent watts not incandescent.

Neither tank will really have enough light to grow much of anything.

ok, so the incandescents wount work. What about Coralife mini compact florescent bulbs which are sold on bigalsonline? Would those be better, or the same a the incandescents?

thanks

Check BigAls for the All-Glass PC screw-in fluorescents. Those are great for the little tanks with incandescent hood.

Plants are a little trickier for such a small tank, but I have a 5gal heavily planted (not so hard to do, LOL!) with aquatic clover, aquatic mint (can't remember scientific names, forgive me) anacharis, dwarf lillies and crypts.

Keep in mind that you may have some algae issues to deal with once you start using the PC bulb. It is much harder to balance the nutrients with a small tank like that, at least it is for me - I have a much easier time growing plants in larger tanks, as there is more room for them to grow. My 5gal requires almost daily pruning to keep it from being overgrown, and I inject CO2 as well so I have to really keep an eye on water parameters.

Good luck!

Ok thanks, now last question. Is it nessesary to use a CO2 system on this small of a tank?

Depends upon how much light you have. If you have a 2-gal with a 13-watt bulb YIKES! I have about 2.8 wpg and to me, if you get over about 2.5wpg then you need CO2 or you are going to have algae problems.

Ok thanks for all the help... I am going to go with the screw in flourescents and a DIY CO2 system (the pop bottle with yeast, water, and sugar) one last question :lol: . For the DIY system, do u need a check valve on the airline tubing or can u just use the tubing without a valve?

Def. use a check valve, so that when you unhook it to redo your mix you don't syphon your tank.

Also measure your KH when running CO2 to be sure it is at least 4dg. Then after you have your CO2 up keep tabs on your KH and pH so you can calculate CO2 concentrations.

Good luck, and post pics!

You could always experiment with a ten gallon tank (for about the same money) and get an inexpensive 36 watt AH supply PC light kit and build your own enclosure for it. Then you could grow anything as long as it doesn't get too tall. A Hagen CO2 ladder setup wouldn't hurt either, but is not necessary. On that small of tank you could use Flourish Excell for added CO2 at not much cost. And flourite is a bit cheaper than Eco complete and works fine, though Eco looks better. Just some thoughts. Bob

I got a 10-gal with the light hood included for very cheap, new, and then got the very inexpensive kit from AHSupply ($14 at the time) and was ready to go. I think it will be much easier with a 10 than a 5 or a 2.

Great suggestion, as always, Bob-

Back
Top Bottom