New tanks for my bettas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lilmack07

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I just ordered two 5g tanks for the two Bettas I have. They both have been living in vases and since I have began to learn more about fish care I wanted to get them better set ups. So I posted a pic of what I got. Is this at least decent for them? Would I need anything else? And also wondering if I would be able to add any type of cleaner animal Like shrimp or snails?

Attachments

• image-1058946413.jpg
    image-1058946413.jpg
    122.6 KB · Views: 150
Kudos to you for getting a proper home for your bettas, they will be much happier. Anyway, I don't know exactly what that kit includes but you'll of course need a filter. Also, bettas are tropical fish so you'll need a heater suitable for the tank. Regular water changes are vital (15-25% weekly) to keep ammonia down. You really need to let the two tanks cycle for a few weeks. This means letting them run without fish for as long as it takes (usually 4-6 weeks) in order to develop beneficial bacteria. Bettas will probably be fine without a cycle though honestly, just keep up with water changes. After the tank is established you could maybe try to add a few small tetras. Neons are best. 5 would fit just fine in there, but no promises that the betta won't attack them. Another possible tank mate is an African dwarf frog or two. These guys are very entertaining and are fully aquatic. Finally, shrimp and snails, as with all inverts, are at risk of being eaten or attacked. Just provide plenty of hiding places to maximize survival chances. If you get shrimp or snails, make sure you get algae wafers or some other type of sinking food so they'll have something to eat besides the betta's waste...haha. It's worth noting that you should probably add anything you might want to the tank before you add the betta, so the betta won't establish territories with himself in mind. Adding him after everything else would reduce the risk of him attacking.

YaBuddyHuddie said:
Kudos to you for getting a proper home for your bettas, they will be much happier. Anyway, I don't know exactly what that kit includes but you'll of course need a filter. Also, bettas are tropical fish so you'll need a heater suitable for the tank. Regular water changes are vital (15-25% weekly) to keep ammonia down. You really need to let the two tanks cycle for a few weeks. This means letting them run without fish for as long as it takes (usually 4-6 weeks) in order to develop beneficial bacteria. Bettas will probably be fine without a cycle though honestly, just keep up with water changes. After the tank is established you could maybe try to add a few small tetras. Neons are best. 5 would fit just fine in there, but no promises that the betta won't attack them. Another possible tank mate is an African dwarf frog or two. These guys are very entertaining and are fully aquatic. Finally, shrimp and snails, as with all inverts, are at risk of being eaten or attacked. Just provide plenty of hiding places to maximize survival chances. If you get shrimp or snails, make sure you get algae wafers or some other type of sinking food so they'll have something to eat besides the betta's waste...haha. It's worth noting that you should probably add anything you might want to the tank before you add the betta, so the betta won't establish territories with himself in mind. Adding him after everything else would reduce the risk of him attacking.

I disagree with the neon tetras they need atleast anywhere from ten-20g tanks for room to swim, shrimps or a snail would work just fine and thats about what can go with in a 5g with your bettas also depends on their tempermant

It can be argued that they need a bigger tank but I find in bigger tanks they don't school very well. In a tighter environment they stick together and as a result they are much more enjoyable. They are the darting type, but their max size is usually only 1 inch so they can thrive in a 5 gallon. Get on YouTube you can see TONS of 5 gallon setups just like the ones I have suggested here. This also comes from personal experience, as I have had similar setups that do just fine.

YaBuddyHuddie said:
It can be argued that they need a bigger tank but I find in bigger tanks they don't school very well. In a tighter environment they stick together and as a result they are much more enjoyable. They are the darting type, but their max size is usually only 1 inch so they can thrive in a 5 gallon. Get on YouTube you can see TONS of 5 gallon setups just like the ones I have suggested here. This also comes from personal experience, as I have had similar setups that do just fine.

It would be to crowded with the neons and betta the betta would be stressed and my neons are about 2 in so in a 5 with neons they should be alone

vance1013 said:
It would be to crowded with the neons and betta the betta would be stressed and my neons are about 2 in so in a 5 with neons they should be alone

Agree to disagree. Dwarf frogs are probably the safer choice though.

I disagree with the neon tetras they need atleast anywhere from ten-20g tanks for room to swim, shrimps or a snail would work just fine and thats about what can go with in a 5g with your bettas also depends on their tempermant

+1 Completely agree. Don't put tetras in a 5 gal with a Betta ever...

You will also see Bettas in little jars on YouTube. Doesn't mean it's ok to do.

Lol love how everyone is so friendly on here. Maybe I should find a different forum.

Had a 5 gallon planted with a betta and 5 neons for 3 years. Never had any sort of problem ever. Would've went on longer but had to tear it down because I moved.

Lilmack07 said:
So I just ordered two 5g tanks for the two Bettas I have. They both have been living in vases and since I have began to learn more about fish care I wanted to get them better set ups. So I posted a pic of what I got. Is this at least decent for them? Would I need anything else? And also wondering if I would be able to add any type of cleaner animal Like shrimp or snails?

You may take whichever piece of advice from any of us that you choose. Tank mates all depend on the temperament of the betta. Just like people, all bettas have different personalities. Good luck.

It is a very cute tank. Almost bought that one myself but when I was across the border they didn't have one available. Your Bettas will love them. Great deal as well. :)

Hahaha to each their own? Either way I don't plan on adding any other fish just something small like shrimp or snails because there are colorful types of shrimp( ive seen like red and blue ones on some site) and I really been wanting some blue and pink ramshorns( I think that's what they are called) i just thought they might be a cool add that wouldn't add much waste. I just wanted to make sure it would be enough room. I will watch for them attacking thou. The tank comes with a filter and a hood light. No heater thou. I can't wait to be able to put my Bettas in a bigger home to put some pep in their step. Thank you all for all your advice and point of views. :))

Calypso77 said:
It is a very cute tank. Almost bought that one myself but when I was across the border they didn't have one available. Your Bettas will love them. Great deal as well. :)

Thank you! I was very happy to come across it because I was about to have to settle for two 2.5g tanks which I wasn't too happy with but it was still better then the vase.

Hahaha to each their own? Either way I don't plan on adding any other fish just something small like shrimp or snails because there are colorful types of shrimp( ive seen like red and blue ones on some site) and I really been wanting some blue and pink ramshorns( I think that's what they are called) i just thought they might be a cool add that wouldn't add much waste. I just wanted to make sure it would be enough room. I will watch for them attacking thou. The tank comes with a filter and a hood light. No heater thou. I can't wait to be able to put my Bettas in a bigger home to put some pep in their step. Thank you all for all your advice and point of views. :))

Did you buy heaters yet for your tanks? Oh and yes the blue and pink ramshorns are so pretty. Sadly I can't get them here in Canada.. :(

Thank you! I was very happy to come across it because I was about to have to settle for two 2.5g tanks which I wasn't too happy with but it was still better then the vase.

My Better is in a 2 gal heated tank. I wouldn't go any smaller though. Your Bettas will love their new home... :)

Nice tanks! They should be happier in their new homes. Just FYI, letting a tank run doesn't cycle it. Since you already have the fish and they are in vases anyway and the 5 gal would be larger, you could do a fish-in cycle. Just be prepared to test water daily and do water changes as needed. Here's the link. I just learned about cycling but I already have fish. What now?! - Aquarium Advice
and this one for general care: Guide to Starting a Freshwater Aquarium - Aquarium Advice

A heater is a good idea; luckily you can get away with a small heater for each tank and they aren't too expensive. Try to get an adjustable one if you can; Aqueon makes good ones. Bettas prefer warmer water, 78-80.

It should be fine with a snail and/or some shrimp. It'll depend on the bettas temperament though; many of them don't like tank mates. You can always try it and see what happens. Nerites are good snails to have too as they don't get too large, keep things clean and they can't breed in freshwater so you won't be overrun with them.

No I haven't bought heaters yet. Do you know of good heater for that size of a tank? The 2.5g I looked at were the same price as the 5g. The only reason I wasn't too happy with the 2.5g was because I figured that might be too small if I wanted to add shrimp and stuff but I wasn't sure. Ever since I found those colorful shrimp I've really wanted to get me some. Lol
Edit- you can't get them in Canada? That's terrible :(

Back
Top Bottom