New ten gallon nano reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Shanetweedz

Aquarium Advice Freak
This is what I am getting anything else?

10 gallon tank-10$
10 pounds of live rock 40$
10 pounds of playsand 5$
Two 50/50 20 watt 10 k and antic blue bulbs 13 each
Already have light fixture
Power heads????????? Need to get cheapest that will work.
Hydrometer and salt mix both 10$

Any thing else?????
Need help stocking like bright fish and Corals. Thinking a clown and mabey a fire fish. As for corals mabey a bta, a torch coral, redcap, and some mushrooms or toadstools will the lighting allow me to get that???? Here is a pick of the lamp

Attachments

• image-787780505.jpg
    image-787780505.jpg
    147.5 KB · Views: 135
I don't think that light will support an anemone (not a coral) and BTAs will quickly outgrow your tank. A single clown and a firefish would be max on a 10g (some would say too small for a clown) there are loads of little inverts to brighten up the tank too. That light may be only good for mushrooms and zoas but plenty of colour there too...

Thinking of a hammer and going to frag a bta because my lfs is the largest soft coral store in the world, they do a frag swap so definitely fragging any advice on cheap lights?

I didn't know you could frag a BTA, again they are not corals, they are inverts. I certainly wouldn't risk it! Your light is not strong enough for nems in any case. You could try hammers, torch, frogspawn, star polyps, clove polyps and of course zoa and mushrooms...

Not sure about cheap lights, nothing seems to be cheap in saltwater. I have also just set up a 10g and am using a par38 dimmable globe. In oz they are about $90 and have a E27 fitting so you need a lamp holder for it. A hydor nano powerhead will do the job too...

10 gallon tank-10$
10 pounds of playsand 5$

Any thing else?????
Need help stocking like bright fish and Corals. Thinking a clown and mabey a fire fish. As for corals mabey a bta, a torch coral, redcap, and some mushrooms or toadstools will the lighting allow me to get that???? Here is a pick of the lamp

I wouldnt use play sand,, it has metals that cant be washed out, go with 20lbs of live sand, you can get for 20$ it may seem like alot but it will benefit the tank, trust me.

10 gallon tank-10$
10 pounds of playsand 5$

Any thing else?????

You need test kits,
Nitrate
Nirtite
Ammonia
Phosphate
High rang
Calcium
You can get a API master kit for about 30-40$ and calcium kits cost 10$ master kit will come with
Nitrate
Ammonia
High range ph
Phosphate

Already have a test kit but mabey pic up a calcium test kit from Wally World heard fw and sw are the same kits but u just need a diffent chart which I can print out from the internet

Already have a test kit but mabey pic up a calcium test kit from Wally World heard fw and sw are the same kits but u just need a diffent chart which I can print out from the internet

Yeah thats true except for ph, your gonna need a high range ph for saltwater if you dont already have one...

Well if you want corals your gonna have to pay a nice price for the bulbs, most cost 90-120$ for average moderatr lighting corals, go to your lfs and check out what they have, i have coral life metal halide 10,000k T5s that i got for 100$ used, you can find stuff like this on ebay. Thats probly your best bet. Bulbs for the light cost 40$ but mine came with two bulbs like most lights you will find. Good luck

Go led. I wish I did to begin with. Par38 should be plenty of light and about the same price. The problem with t5 and MH is the bulbs need to be good quality bulbs and they need to be replaced every 6-9 months or they will shift spectrum. LEDs don't have to ever be replaced until they burn out. Normally they last several years and some claim to last 10 years before they had to replace them. Plus they don't add heat to your tank.

Cheap is a relative term when it comes to leds, what would your budget be?

Back
Top Bottom