New to hobby and have a few questions....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
During the cycling process, your ph will swing. I would wait until you are finished with your cycle to decide to do anything about your ph.
Ghost shrimp wont last long in a cycling tank.
It's really best to do a fishless cycle. Let your kiddo know that the aquarium isn't ready for fish, and it will make the fish sick to add them now.

Peat moss is an effective way to get your desired effect. It can make a bit of a mess though.

I tried something a little different with a tank I am currently cycling -- I bought some seachem Stability. It is a live bacteria supplement. Most of these products don't work, but I decided to give this one a try since I have had good luck with other seachem products.

Well, so far it has worked. In a brand new tank, I have 3 zebra danios happily living in .25 or less ammonia levels, and by day 3 I was already seeing some nitrite in the tank. In a week of running, I have only done 1 10-15% PWC, and my tank really seems to be establishing itself. Most will tell you, and I can attest, that under normal circumstances doing a cycle with fish, daily PWCs of 50% or more can be required to keep ammonia levels in check... so so far I give this product an A+.

I got it at petsmart, it might be worth checking out. I am going to hear about it though from the fishless cycling purists :).

Ok guys......tank cycled and now fish are hapily swimming around in their new homes.

First off; I want to thank everyone in here for such good advice and assisting me with the information I needed. I am sorry I haven't been here in a few. Work has really picked up these past few weeks. Well; tank has fully cycled already; and last week I added 2 Platies. I gave them a week to see how they adjusted; and did daily water testing to make sure everything was running properly....did have a little bit of a nitrite swing; but the following day; lvls were back to normal. Last night; I picked up 2 Mollies and a CAE.......so far everyone seems to be enjoying their new environment.

Attachments

• DSCN0829.JPG
    DSCN0829.JPG
    47.4 KB · Views: 46
  • DSCN0822.JPG
    DSCN0822.JPG
    56.3 KB · Views: 46
  • DSCN0830.JPG
    DSCN0830.JPG
    51.4 KB · Views: 47
  • DSCN0826.JPG
    DSCN0826.JPG
    56.3 KB · Views: 45
Oh; and by the way; my lil' one decided to name the algae eater Louie........lol

Congrats on being so patient with the cycle and doing your research first! Good job!!! Glad all of your fish are doing well, and I love the name Louie for a fish! LOL

Hey all......I know I just got my 20 gallon up and running. However; I too was overcome by MTS....lol. I was on my way home from work yesterday; and low and behold; I found a 10 gallon with filter; heater; hood, and lights. I stopped and asked the guy what he wanted for it just for the heck of it; and he gave it to me. He was in the process of cleaning out his garage and told me that the filter and all works; but was not sure if the tank leaked or not. I got it home and water tested it; and holds water perfectly and all equipment works wonderful (with the exception of one light bulb was burned out). Now; my predictament is this. I have the 20 tall as my tropical tank and am thinking about the 10 gallon being a coldwater tank. Are there any other fish other than goldies that can survive in a cold water environment??? Or if I was to go ahgead and put the heater in it; what would be a good selecton of fish??

well, white cloud minnows would work, zebra danios will also work if properly acclimated to that temp as long as it isnt below 68, i had some fry in one of my 10g's that isnt heated...

Back
Top Bottom