New to hobby, first post.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

brybry

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello all! My name is Bryan. I am new to this hobby and website and figured I should give you a little background info as to how I got into the hobby.

As a child growing up, I had a goldfish bowl or 2. I've always been fascinated by fish and aquairums. About 6 years ago I owned a 20 gal fw tank. About a year after I bought it I ended up giving it away after everything died off. I kick myself for that now but at the time I was more focused on chasing women lol.

About 2 years ago I found my love. She is an absolute animal freak! She had never owned a fish tank before tho and we talked about maybe getting one at one point. About 8 months ago we decided to give it a go but at this point in time I was focused more on guitar. She wanted to breed Guppy's. Not my thing. Don't get me wrong, its interesting just not something I'm into. We got a few tanks for the adults and fry and I helped her with it. A month or 2 after we started we had a house fire and lost everything.

Well mid December of last year we were at our lfs shopping for the animals and I impulsively decided to buy an aquarium kit that was on sale. Before this point I will admit that I knew absolutely nothing about the hobby. I got the kit, a dozen or so fish, substrate ect. Fill the tank with water, fish ect, how hard can it be? It took less than 7 days for nts ( new tank syndrome) to plague the tank killing all but 3 fish ( which I still have). Luckily the lfs had an awesome return policy and I got money back for the poor fish I killed lol :/.

Since then I have gone crazy! I'm constantly reading and researching the hobby. I am proud to say that after reading about cycling and the different ways to do it, tons of water changes and a little patience, that my tank has been cycled for almost 3 months now! My fish are lively, healthy, comfy in their environment and I couldn't be happier!

I've learned a lot of things since being in the hobby. It never hurts to research, read, seek advice and I'm not sure it will ever stop. Another thing I have learned is that everyone has an opinion. Some are similar to others while some seem rather extreme, at least to me. Never the less, I value any and all feed back, criticisms, advice and suggestions. I didn't get this far without it.

Thank you for reading my endless ramble. I'll see you all in the questions thread lol. Take care and have a nice day!

Thank you for sharing:)
Hope you enjoy this hobby.
Don't give up on stressful situations. Everyone has to go through it sometime, sadly.

Oh and welcome to AA

Back
Top Bottom