New to planted tanks.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LIMentality420

Aquarium Advice Regular
I'm interested in starting a 15 gallon planted tank. I have the basic stuff(tank,hood,filter,heater).Do planted tanks need different light than regular freshwater tanks ? What type of water parameters do I need for a planted tank ? What temp. for planted tanks ?

Depending on the type of plants you want (low-light - under 2wpg) or high-light (over 2wpg). If you want high-light, you will need CO2 injected.

Temps will be the same as you normally use for your fish. The only parameter at issue (mostly with high-light/CO2 injected) would be your gh/kh levels. Ammonia and nitrite will be a thing of the past. You will have to monitor your nitrate level to keep it at a level to support your plants health.

the lights that come with most tanks are not adequate to provide light for plants.
In other words you will most likely need more light.
the temperature is basically the same.. PH and KH values are linked in there ability to hold CO2 for the plants. It depends on how much light you have now or how much light you wish to get before you need to consider adding CO2. If you keep it down to about 1.5 wpg in florescent or compact florescent.. incandescents really dont count... you can just take steps to avoid lousing the CO2 the fish create during respiration... keeping surface aggatation down... and keeping your PH and KH balanced for CO2.. hope this helps..
when you have plants you need your nitrate level up to around 10-15ppm the plants need it..

Can i getta example of someones tank ? Like lighting,water parameters, substarte,filtration,anything else you think I should know. appreciate the help....

Here's mine:

75 gal.
Fluval 404 Canister
Estes blue/green substrate
NH3 =0, NO2 = 0, NO3 = @10ppm
2 40w aquaglow 18k flourescents
Plants: Java fern, african fern (bolbitis), amazon sword, crypts.

HTH.

In my opinion plants make a tank more interesting, more natural looking, more stable and healthier for the fish. My first tank started out with blue gravel and artificial plants. After almost a year I bought another tank and set it up with Flourite substrate (great for plants but not required) and real plants. I have since redone my first tank with natural gravel and potting soil as a substrate and replaced the plastic plants with low light level plants. A couple of years later I have 8 tanks (all planted except the quarantine tank) with another one on the way very shortly. Planted tanks can be as easy or as complex as you want them to be. The important thing is to pick plants that are compatible with your tank (including your fish). Don't get plants that require a lot of light and CO2 if you have the standard hood that comes with most tanks. Stick with low light plants such as Anubias or Java ferns and have a ball. You can find a list of plants that don't require much light at the following web site:

http://www.plantgeek.net/plantguide_list.php?category=1&filter_by=2

most of the people here have much bigger tanks than what you are planning, so how about a sample of what you might need?

Do you do DIY projects? some of these items can be a do it yourself project..

filtration.. as Ive been told canisters are the king of the planted aquarium.. your little 15 gallon would not need but maybe the smallest of these.. canister filters allow you to keep water aggitation to a minium.. keeping the CO2 in the water..
lighting... you need anywere from 15watts up to 30watts of florescent or compact florescent lighting... the screw in compact floresents use the wattage rating not the output wattage rating..
water parameters... the PH and KH are completely dependent on each other.. We cant help you there besides giving you a formula.. CO2= 3KH * 10^( 7-PH) this formula can be off by up to 10% in CO2 levels so if it says 20ppm of CO2 that means 20 +/- 2ppm..
substrate..... dark is thought to be better.. small in grain size.. deeper than normal.. at least three inchs..
nutrient.. this is going to take a little homework on your part depending on what you want to use..
:D :D happy to help

I personaly would put CO2 in a tank starting at the 1-1.5 watts per gallon level and on up of course.. by the way..its realy not nessasary untill you get to the 2 wpg range though..
there is a sticky and alot of threads about CO2 check them out it would help... :D

Back
Top Bottom