New to salt, need some advice...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

adamatic

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi everyone. I've been lurking for awhile, planning to take the plunge into a saltwater reef tank. I'd like to get a 90gal going but that's about as far as my decisionmaking has gone. What are some recommendations for the best and most flexible lighting, skimmer and filter options. Would a filter with live rock and live sand be overfiltration? What about a sump or refugium setup? I'd like to set a reasonable budget and work off of the most options but I don't know all of them. I realize this is a pretty broad question but any help would be great. Thanks!

I think the best decision to make first is not what filtration, what lighting system to get or even the size of the tank. Every piece of equipment will be dictated by the livestock in the tank. Do alot of research and reading to figure out what fish, inverts and/or corals you would like to have in it.

It would be very disapointing to get the tank all set up and cycled to only find out that the tank is too small for that one fish you had your heart set on.

A fish may physically fit into a tank but that does not mean it will be happy in it. Some fish need a long tank to swin, some will grow so large so fast that it would no longer physically fit into a tank in just a few years.

Good Luck,
Brian

the bulk of your budget needs to go to LR and a good skimmer. you probably should set up a sump. with enough LR (1.5 lb/gal+) , you don't need any other power filter like you do with FW. you should aim for 10 to 20x flow (900-1800 gph for a 90g) LFS overcharges a TON for skimmers, so look online. marinedepot is a good place for deals.

If you're on a budget, hirocks.com will cut your LR cost, and good aragonite playsand saves over LS. Be sure you don't get silica sand though.

mostly, you need to read and take your time. there is a lot to learn, but it's not as hard as people think sometimes.

Back
Top Bottom