New to Saltwater Environment

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bosleysrn

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have ordered an Oceanic 156 Gallon Reef Ready Tank. This is my first ever saltwater tank, but I have had 3 fresh water tanks at one time. I am planing to do a live rock and Predatory Fish Only tank. I just wanted to know what some of your thoughts when it comes to refugium vs. a wet dry filter. I have heard that the wet dry filter suffices for a fish only tank with live rock, but have also heard that a refugium is a better option even though I won't have any reefs. Any comments? Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Welcome to AquariumAdvice.com!!! :smilecolros: :smilecolros: :smilecolros:
It really depends on the wet/dry set-up. The biggest challenge in a predator tank is keeping water parameters acceptable, mainly NO3. With all of those messy easters in there NO3 can begin to climb. We/dry filters that rely on bioballs as filter media can sometimes compound this issue. The bioballs themselves can become a nitrate factory. This does not help you out. My recommendation is to go with lots of LR in the main (1.5lbs/gal) and replace the bioballs in the wet/dry with LR rubble. This will help in dealing with NO3. A fuge is also a great way to naturally deal with NO3. They also create a nice environment for pod cultivation and such. Either way, you would be just find. I guess if it were me I would do the set/dry with LR rubble for a FOWLR tanks.

if running a wet/dry, replacing bio balls with LR rubble is good for nitrate reduction?
Or did I read that wrong?

I would go with a large enough one that would house enough reef rubble for proper filtration. For instance, I currently have a 90 gal and bought a wet/dry for a 125 gal. I wish I would have gone larger. The more room the better, especially for extra equipment.

Mike

I know someone who has a 150G tank with only 300 lbs of live rocks and two protein skimmers. That's it. No other filtration. But, man, it was a thriving FOWLR setup.

Back
Top Bottom