New to saltwater

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Forester

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi everyone I'm new to saltwater. I would like to change my 29g high into a saltwater tank. But have no idea how. I want to have some live coral but don't know what special things to do to take care of one. Thanks alot I will appreciate all the help. As I said I have no clue about saltwater tanks.

Well if we were to give you all the info you would be reading for hours lol. Just do research and ask questions afterward. There are too many things to cover. GL!!!!! :)

Two of the most important things is a refractometer and a liquid test kit to start a reef tank. Next will be the lights do you want softies, lps or sps?

Ro/di water. Most lfs have it salted. live sand I go about 2 inches deep. Live rock about 29 lbs... Protein skimmer is a must but that can wait a few weeks. And lights. Pick the corals u want now and before u buy them buy the light they need. And a test kit and Hydrometer.

It can be as simple as water rocks and sand and bi weekly water changes or it can get really complicated

My first sw was a 25g and it was $250 total. Monthly cost for food and water from the lfs $20. I now have a 75g that is $3500 and still growing in price. My monthly food is about 2 and I make my water. For lights I recomended led I have sps lps and soft all thriving under them they are more money up front but you won't need a chiller or a wind farm

im not sure on what type of coral but i would like an anemone. do you think this would be a good stock,
2 clownfish (pair)
3 spotted cardinalfish
1 firefish goby (pair)
3 yellowtail damselfish
1 spotted hawkfish
3 banded coral shrimp
3 dwarf blue leg hermit crabs
3 astraea turbo snail
1 emerald crab

im not sure on what type of coral but i would like an anemone. do you think this would be a good stock,
2 clownfish (pair)
5 spotted cardinalfish
1 firefish goby
5 yellowtail damselfish
1 spotted hawkfish
3 banded coral shrimp
3 astraea turbo snail
1 emerald crab

Unfortunately, that would be too many fish. You can hold a lot less fish than you can is freshwater. Also, as far as an anemone goes, some would say that a 29g tank is too small for one, as they do get fairly large. Also for an anemone, you need super-strong lighting.

Also, Coral Banded Shrimp will kill each other unless they are a mated pair, so three wouldn't work.

If you have any other questions, please don't hesitate to ask. :-D I know stocking is very different from freshwater, but you are doing a great job already by checking what you can have before you purchase it. :)

how about,
2 clownfish
3 cardinalfish
3 damselfish
2 firefish
1 coral shrimp
3 hermit crabs and 3 snails
1 small crab

For a 29 gallon you need to cut your stock wishlist way way down. Most marine fish unless they are a male female pair don't do well in the aquarium situation. If you want an anemone you will have to have excellent lights and water quality it is best to wait at least a year before adding one to the tank. For lights you will want to go with a MH 150w or 4 5T HO with individual reflectors or LEDs I am just learning about them so Ii am no help there. You might want to cut your list of fish down to 3 or 4 remember most all the fish are wild caught and aren't use to being in a tank let alone with fish from different regions.

Don't believe they will grow to the size of tank my friend just got rid of his sargent major damsel that was about a year old and 4 to 5 inches long that was in a 29 gallon he finally gave up trying to catch it without taking out the rocks and nearly had to dismantle the tank. He had been trying for about 4 months to get that monster out of his tank.

I converted my 29g a little over a month ago and my suggestion is do your research.

Personally I read 2 books, countless articles from different forums, several trips to lfs's, conversations with friends that have reef tanks, and i have compiled a 75 page notebook full of notes. All before the first drop of water hit the tank and I still feel lost!!!

Good luck to you and would like to see some updates.

Forester said:
2 clownfish (pair)
3 spotted cardinalfish
1 firefish goby (pair)
3 yellowtail damselfish
1 spotted hawkfish
3 banded coral shrimp
3 astraea turbo snail
1 emerald crab

That is way too many fish. In my 75 I have 1 large powder brown tang one clown one yellow goby a coral beauty 3 Chromis 15 hermits a sand star 15 assorted snails for shrimp a skunk 2 peppermint and a coral banded

Forester said:
1 clown goby
2 clownfish
2 firefish
1 clingfish
that would be 6 fish total

Sounds good, but maybe skip the clingfish. They are moderatly tough to keep

My 29 Biocube is cycling, and I would give you my stocklist. But it includes difficult or expensive fish and I don't want to give you ideas ;) but I would recommend...

2 Clownfish
1 Yellow Watchman Goby
1 Neon Goby
1 Cardinalfish

i think ill go with
2 clownfish
2 firefish
1 clown goby
and maybe a clingfish once i am more knolegeable of saltwater
i am planning on using a power filter but was wondering what other equipment i might need, also what type of corals and maybe anemone would be best thanks.

I am following this one closely. I would like a 29 gallon saltwater tank myself. What about reef cleaners.....

i was thinking
2 dwarf blue leg hermits
2 dwarf red tip hermits
2 porcelain crabs
1 sea star
1 sea urchin
6 snails
1 banded coral shrimp
do you think those would be good if not what do you think thanks.

I like your list, looks fine to me. :) I love my porcelain crab, he's very cool. The only thing I would say to wait on though is the starfish. Alot don't do very well in aquariums. Just some food for thought.

Zooanthids, mushrooms and leathers are usually pretty cheap and very good starter corals too. You also can look at candycanes or trumpet corals, I've gotten them for around $10 depending on the size.

Back
Top Bottom