New to saltwater

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
ill be going to the fish store tomorrow so ill see if they have those corals and if they can hold them for me. thanks

There are 2 or 3 corals that can get out of and quick in the tank one is green star polyps, xenia, blue cloves, encrusting gorgonian and waving hand (anthelia). Well that list is bigger than I thought in the beginning of this post. Before you get any of that list of corals research and make sure you can control it in your tank and can actually grow over slower growing corals.

I bought the book Saltwater for Dummies. It helped me out so much. And just reading this forum has helped a lot.

my water is very cloudy

My husband and I just started a 38 gallon saltwater tank we have the sump hooked up and added salt and sand but the water is very cloudy what could be causing this

Hi. welcome to the forum!

Did you rinse the sand before putting it in? Did you mix the salt water in a separate container and then add it or did you just add the salt directly to the tank? It can take a few days for cloudiness to dissipate so just be patient. :)

It wont hurt anything at this stage since you don't have any livestock, but in the future mix it in a different container and then add it. Since you didn't rinse the sand you will have that haze for a few days at most, it will go away and settle down soon enough.

How are you planning to cycle the tank?

What do you mean by cycle? I am completely new to this I learned fast that freshwater and saltwater are not the same and what about salinity level what should I be at

Nice fish line up. But focus on lots of live rock and sand first then the 200 u spend on rock will take the place of a 250 canister all day. Plus with live rock you get tons of hitchhikers for free.. Water movement is key = powerheads, and a good protein skimmer. I would add a few more snails and hermits also

shawnt90 said:
Nice fish line up. But focus on lots of live rock and sand first then the 200 u spend on rock will take the place of a 250 canister all day. Plus with live rock you get tons of hitchhikers for free.. Water movement is key = powerheads, and a good protein skimmer. I would add a few more snails and hermits also

You don't need lots of live rock and it's a waste of money. A few pounds with base rock is enough to get the tank cycled. There are also bad hitch hikers such as fire worms, aptasia, majono anemones, and more. Its also really expensive and harder to aquascape with because it doesn't have as many nooks and holes as base. Also when people say live rock is a filter, they mean chemically as in it gets rid of ammonia and nitrite. You still need a filter to get rid of other things and debris that your CUC doesn't clean.

Yeah go the cheap rock way its your choice in the end and not a horrible idea. I cure all of my lr first before hand then use that as the filter you don't have to wait years for it to look like Anything more than a pile of bleached white rock that has 0 filtration value to me thats a waste of money. But it is an option not everyone can spend a ton on a tank. But then they should have goldfish lol

shawnt90 said:
Yeah go the cheap rock way its your choice in the end and not a horrible idea. I cure all of my lr first before hand then use that as the filter you don't have to wait years for it to look like Anything more than a pile of bleached white rock that has 0 filtration value to me thats a waste of money. But it is an option not everyone can spend a ton on a tank. But then they should have goldfish lol

Actually, with only a couple pounds of live rock, the base rock will look exactly like the live rock within a month or two. And there are many cheaper ways to do a sw tank, without just shelling out the money for premium products. I have actually heard of people making their own rock, when they have 100+ gallon tanks to save money. Just as affective.

Gboy66 said:
Actually, with only a couple pounds of live rock, the base rock will look exactly like the live rock within a month or two. And there are many cheaper ways to do a sw tank, without just shelling out the money for premium products. I have actually heard of people making their own rock, when they have 100+ gallon tanks to save money. Just as affective.

Wow even a better idea make your own. and it will take no more than a month to look like live rock if u use base? That's a good fact. ill write that down. Oh and with that method using base and some liverock you can't get aptasia or fireworms right? That's good info thanks for sharing.

This guy is 100% the man

Sorry for not knowing it all like he does I was only trying to help you. You had said you wanted to her into the obsession with us and the replies to you were get a book and then get a test kit, both great advise . I thought I would tell you as much info as I could share and get the ball rolling for you.

Now that you have a better marine biologists in gboy66 I think he can take it from here.

Good luck from here

If you are doing a reef tank you can still get aptasia and bristle worms when you put in coral. Even dipping the coral doesn't kill the aptasia and depending what you dip it in the bristle worms survive too.

shawnt90 said:
Wow even a better idea make your own. and it will take no more than a month to look like live rock if u use base? That's a good fact. ill write that down. Oh and with that method using base and some liverock you can't get aptasia or fireworms right? That's good info thanks for sharing.

This guy is 100% the man

Sorry for not knowing it all like he does I was only trying to help you. You had said you wanted to her into the obsession with us and the replies to you were get a book and then get a test kit, both great advise . I thought I would tell you as much info as I could share and get the ball rolling for you.

Now that you have a better marine biologists in gboy66 I think he can take it from here.

Good luck from here

Just trying to help. I dont see the problem in that? You mentioned a way, and so did it. Neither are wrong, and both will work. Jeez

joy13 said:
If you are doing a reef tank you can still get aptasia and bristle worms when you put in coral. Even dipping the coral doesn't kill the aptasia and depending what you dip it in the bristle worms survive too.

Its easy to spot on a frag or coral though there are many holes and what not that contain bristle worms on live rock.

Back
Top Bottom