New to the Hobby

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chev13696

Aquarium Advice Activist
I am getting a 125gal setup from my brother in law. I would like to ultimately like to reset it up for a stingray one of the smaller species though to make sure it has room to get around. So I guess does anyone have any experience with stingrays and what kind of setup would be needed and what other tank mates could I put in there with him. I have been doing a little reading online and I know to use a fine sand and also stay away from sharp and jagged decor. Thank you to all that look and reply. Any help/advice is greatly appreciated.

Chev13696 said:
I am getting a 125gal setup from my brother in law. I would like to ultimately like to reset it up for a stingray one of the smaller species though to make sure it has room to get around. So I guess does anyone have any experience with stingrays and what kind of setup would be needed and what other tank mates could I put in there with him. I have been doing a little reading online and I know to use a fine sand and also stay away from sharp and jagged decor. Thank you to all that look and reply. Any help/advice is greatly appreciated.

I'm not really familiar with stingrays, however I did read a lot about them and the one thing I do know is to DO NOT add a pleco in with it, they tend to suck on the stingrays and leave them "hickies". Also I've read that a silver arowana is a very good tank mate bc they dwell at the top while the stingray hangs out at the bottom. Good luck!!

Thanks, I think I read that too about the plecos and I will have to check out the Arowana.

I also have read that they can live for a long time and these are considered lifetime pets since they can live so long. Not to mention how cool they look just gliding through the water.

Chev13696 said:
I also have read that they can live for a long time and these are considered lifetime pets since they can live so long. Not to mention how cool they look just gliding through the water.

Very true :)

A 125G will not be large enough for any arowana and silvers get ~ 4 feet long.

Thank you I did not know that, do know of any that would be a good tank mate. I have read that as long as the fish is not small enough to fit in their mouth then it should be okay.

HN1 said:

A 4ft long arowana is a little extreme in a tank, I've seen reports of arowanas getting up to a Max of 28inches when in captive.. still a 2ft+ is large though

butterfly_koi said:
What about the teacup stingray

but just because its a called a teacup doesn't mean that it is small. The minimum you can put it in is a 125G. It can get up to 15 in.

That's the exact stingray I was thinking of getting to put in my 180gallon with a gigantic sand bed... :tempting: :)

the least it could be in is 125. b/c the actual ray can get up to a foot and then add the max length of the tail which could get up to another foot. an essential for these is that you have fine sand so they do not get cut up. if heard of oscars being kept with them as well because they tend to stay towards the top much like arrowanas.

Swashbuckler99 said:
the least it could be in is 125. b/c the actual ray can get up to a foot and then add the max length of the tail which could get up to another foot. an essential for these is that you have fine sand so they do not get cut up. if heard of oscars being kept with them as well because they tend to stay towards the top much like arrowanas.

Yes I heard Oscars are good, and arowanas too, I have an arowana too so that would work for me.. would just need to get rid of my pleco before hand, pleco+stingray= bad mix

Swashbuckler99 said:

Very true, any Ray that you research you have to add about a foot for the tail.

Back
Top Bottom