New to this and screwed up already!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Happy happy joy joy! I got my sponge!

Attachments

• image-318070164.jpg
    image-318070164.jpg
    149.1 KB · Views: 37
Coco1019 said:
Happy happy joy joy! I got my sponge!

Yay for you! I want to get on but I haven't yet.. I really don't want my tank over taken by snails :/

Mrs.h2012 said:
Yay for you! I want to get on but I haven't yet.. I really don't want my tank over taken by snails :/

I don't think they mean your tank is going to be over run. It's more of a hey we have them so you may get one. I have only seen 1 baby snail and he may have been eaten. Plus if you look up the rams horn snail, they are kinda cool not to mention your getting some Clean up crew as a bonus. I just saw it as a win win.

If you are still thinking about some fish to add down the road you could try harlequin rasboras. I absolutely love mine! They arent the brightest fish ever but they add a lot of life to my tank and they are always on the go!! And mine were so dull and barely had any color what so ever when I got them and after getting home their colors perked up and I love them!! Just an idea :) Or espei rasboras and rasbora brigittae! They are also very nice looking!!

The rasboras are pretty. Thanks for mentioning those. I'll read some more about them.

Now, how do I know if the tank has cycled due to the sponge I dropped in there yesterday? What should my test results show me? I just tested and there have been some slight changes, but I don't know if there should be bigger ones. I'm guessing the ammonia will continue to go down and nitrates will go up with nitrites basically staying at 0?

Ammonia - .25
Nitrites - 0
Nitrates - 0

I'm not expecting a miracle, just wanting to know what to look for. It hasn't even been 24 hours yet.

[
Mrs.h2012 said:

I had a dream last night that I woke up and my tank was full of snails.

Thank you. It's nice to have a good idea as to when things will start changing.

My fish seem to be doing pretty well. It's funny seeing their different personalities. I never would have though fish could be so different. The black moscows are very curious and like to check out everything. They also like to "play" with the plants. Then there is one the seems really playful and keeps herself amused, swimming up and down really fast. The little guy who likes to hide...

Very interesting.

That's one thing that truly keeps me amused is to watch all the fish and their different personalities. Every fish has its own personality, it's fun to watch and learn from all off little guys.

Yeah, at first all you need to really test for is ammonia and nitrites you should see the ammonia start to lvl out. When that happens you will see you nitrites start to show....then spike. Water change, water change water change and then magic!! Ammo down nitrites down and nitrates slowly rise. Don't I make that sound soo simple!! Lol! But seriously, when you see your ammonia and nitrites at 0 then you need to start counting days and watching those nitrates. When they hit 40ppm. you now know how many days tou can safe go between water changes. do your water change. Now this is where your going to get some doubt. What I mean is you are so used to testing every day or every two days. That you feel you need to continue this practice. You don't! Once or twice a week is all you really need to. If you add new fish then you can test every other day for a week just see how you tank handles the bio load. ;-)

I just bought a 55 and a 10. I can't believe how addicting this is.

I'm going to start a planted in the 55 and setup my QT in the 10.

Didn't read through other replies, but I did see your last reply about what readings you should have once your cycled.. And you should have 0 ammonia and nitrite and less than 20 (some say 40, but the lower the better).

Coco1019 said:
I just bought a 55 and a 10. I can't believe how addicting this is.

I'm going to start a planted in the 55 and setup my QT in the 10.

I have a friend who knows I'm into this and she's managed to get me two free tanks so far :) the first is my 10g which now has my fry in it, and my 30 that I have my angel and two platys in. I also have a 55 coming my way soon too!

Do I need a bigger filter than what the 29g came with?

It's an Aqueon with a QuietFlow30.

They are for 30-45 gallon tanks which will be great for your 29. I always use a more filtration that is needed. I have a quietflow50 on my 30 gallon tall and I love it. Make sure to be careful with the impeller as it has two black pieces that hold it in place. If you lose on it becomes very loud.

Coco1019 said:
Do I need a bigger filter than what the 29g came with?

Echoing Chris, you definitely want a larger filter. I have emperor 280(rated for a 50) on my 20g and I'm going to use a canister filter rated for a 100g on my 40g. It might be over kill but I'v always done a "double tank volume plus" less maintenance and fewer problems done the road.

Can't wait to see how your new tank turn out!!

I just found a wood tv stand that I'm going to for the 40g. An only paid 23 bucks for it!! Can't wait to start this build! Lol.

The QF30 is on the 29 along with the sponge/air pump set up. So it's okay, right? You were saying it's not good for the 55 (which I totally get)? I think the 55 comes witha 55/75, though I will probably buy a second. Or, should I look at getting different filters period?

I'm going to move the 29 upstairs and place the 55 where it is now. I originally planned to start a whole new community in the 55, but the husband wants to just move everything from the 29 and then expand. I'm just finding myself pretty limited due to the guppies and him wanting "colorful" fish. Now I have no idea what I'm doing. I want to start getting the 55 going. I was thinking of putting the guppies in the 10 (after removing about 75% in the 29), just long enough for me to drain the removing water, carry the 29 upstairs, refill it and condition it, and pop the guppies back in.

Would they be okay in the 10 for about 30 minutes? There are 9 of them.

Back
Top Bottom