New to this and screwed up already!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I occasionally see an iridescent patch on the gills of my Bolivian Ram, but so far that has not proven to be anything serious. One of your guppies almost seems like an albino guppy, so that would explain the funny eye color.

Coco1019 said:
I'm uploading some (blurry, but should get the job done) pics to my Dropbox account. You can see the red eyes in them as well as the patches.

I'm sorry for so many questions. I'm just trying to improve things as much as I can since I started off on the wrong foot. :nono:

They don't look to stressed. And should adjust to the new routine.

probaly shock how long did you aquamate them for sorry about the bad spelling

out of a book i had lying around it explains it a lil better than the one posted above

Attachments

• image-439213176.jpg
    image-439213176.jpg
    114 KB · Views: 46
probaly shock how long did you aquamate them for sorry about the bad spelling

About an hour or so. I floated them for about 30 mins and then slowly added my tank water to the bag every 10 mins until the water in the bag had doubled. Then I gently poured them into a bucket and netted them back to my tank.

That's what the LFS said to do. Is that correct?

Coco1019 said:
About an hour or so. I floated them for about 30 mins and then slowly added my tank water to the bag every 10 mins until the water in the bag had doubled. Then I gently poured them into a bucket and netted them back to my tank.

That's what the LFS said to do. Is that correct?

That's how Ive read is best to do it, that's how I acclimated my angel when I got it last Friday.

iv always used the drip method its the most safe way but its also the most slow method aswell

Mrs.h2012 said:
That's how Ive read is best to do it, that's how I acclimated my angel when I got it last Friday.

Yay! I must have missed where you got your angel. I saw your other thread. That's what my daughter wanted at first, but she fell in love with the guppies.

lamby said:
iv always used the drip method its the most safe way but its also the most slow method aswell

What's the drip method?

Off to go research that.....

use air tube tie a know so it drips on drop a secon from your tank till u fill what ever your fish is in i usualy do it in a buket in a bucket so it can over flow means you dont have to have fish floating around top of the tank and its less stress full

So far they're all making it and everyone looks mostly okay. I was worried about the eyes and patches but I guess one may be an albino and the patches don't seem to spread or anything. I do have one little guy that likes to hang out in the bottom corner away from everyone and hides. It's tough because when he finally gets to the top at feeding time, there's not much left. He ends up cleaning up a lot.

I took back the fizz thing and bought a shower curtain instead. They like the bubbles but I think the airstone was too concentrated. I also got a double air tube control thing so I can turn it down.

My daughter is convinced we don't feed them enough. When anyone is near the tank they go to the top and sit there waiting. She thinks they're starving. I hid the food.

When is the best time to test the water? I've been testing right before a water change (which is a night time) and then again in the morning.

I'm so over the bucket thing. I wish a could get a water changed system that would work with my faucet.

I'm so over the bucket thing. I wish a could get a water changed system that would work with my faucet.
I know it sucks now but once you get that sponge filter in the tank and running. things will move along very quickly. LOL, in fact when things settle down and you don't have to do water changes every day or other day your going to find yourself thinking about your next tank. I already have another build in the works and a larger one after that forming in my head!!! The wife thinks i'm cracked!

Coco1019 said:
So far they're all making it and everyone looks mostly okay. I was worried about the eyes and patches but I guess one may be an albino and the patches don't seem to spread or anything. I do have one little guy that likes to hang out in the bottom corner away from everyone and hides. It's tough because when he finally gets to the top at feeding time, there's not much left. He ends up cleaning up a lot.

I took back the fizz thing and bought a shower curtain instead. They like the bubbles but I think the airstone was too concentrated. I also got a double air tube control thing so I can turn it down.

My daughter is convinced we don't feed them enough. When anyone is near the tank they go to the top and sit there waiting. She thinks they're starving. I hid the food.

When is the best time to test the water? I've been testing right before a water change (which is a night time) and then again in the morning.

Good thinking on your part to hide the food.. A month or so ago my son dumped half a thing of fish food in my 10g... It looked like it was snowing fish food... I freaked out lol. Somehow my tank survived that and I didn't have an ammonia spike (was doing a fish in cycle), my platys were going crazy when that happened! Needless to say they didn't get fed for a few days lol.

phishfriend said:
I know it sucks now but once you get that sponge filter in the tank and running. things will move along very quickly. LOL, in fact when things settle down and you don't have to do water changes every day or other day your going to find yourself thinking about your next tank. I already have another build in the works and a larger one after that forming in my head!!! The wife thinks i'm cracked!

+1 to thinking about your next tank once water changes aren't every/every other day. Once my 10g cycled I was given a 30g, I took media from my 10 and it seeded very quickly, and I'm about to be given a 55g and I'm already planning for a fish in with my 55 since I have to cycled tanks I can stick media in to seed it with. It becomes VERY addicting!

I'm thinking about y next already! To be completely honest, the PWCs don't bothered too much. I rigged up something last night to drain and that saved quite a lot of time. I still need to use buckets to fill, but I'll take whatever I can get, KWIM?

My husband really wants some really colorful fish so I'm thinking about eventually getting a tank going for him. The ones that would be okay with the guppies "aren't colorful enough" apparently. But, I have no experience and when the time comes ill be on here asking for suggestions.

I bought some frozen bloodworm. How do I feed them this?

I bought some frozen bloodworm. How do I feed them this?

Just thaw some out and put them in a little at a time. If you are grossed out by them, they do make a small feeder. Its a plastic cone with a suction cup.(mini strainer really) it works well because you can thaw and feed at the same time.

Like this?

21IFvZKG10L.jpg

And I just learned that I don't have to count out 58 drops of Prime anymore. A thread in the cap = 1ml and I need 3. That made my day! It's the little things...

Coco1019 said:
Like this?

And I just learned that I don't have to count out 58 drops of Prime anymore. A thread in the cap = 1ml and I need 3. That made my day! It's the little things...

Bingo! You got it in one!

Back
Top Bottom